Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Prediction DFW area ~ Mid February Martin arrival

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm

T-Bird,
I would predict Mid February for the Purple Martins to arrive in DFW area. No promises.
You have time to get your Trendsetter 12 up and ready before the purple martins arrive in your community.

I need to text Dr. Janice, my sister, in Seguin, TX to get her two K-Series 18 gourd racks up and ready. Her office martin colony is 1/4 mile from legendary Tony Fredrickson's super colony.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

T-

I'm Plano. My birds arrive every March however there are others that arrive in February. Every now and then there will be a report of one arriving in January. Every year is different.

I always remind myself by visiting the research tab at the top then selecting scout report. You can actually look years back.

Regardless of all of that, I am always hopeful and in anticipation of arrivals so I am ready to go by the end of January.

Also. If you are in need of pine needles for pre nesting let me know and I'll share my gathering location with you. It's on the West side of Lake Lewisville.

Coolwhips.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:16 pm

So I got it all down and moved into my work shop. Poles came apart real easy. No problem at all. What I thought was glue was actually water so no heating required.

It's in great shape just never maintained. Compartments were resized. Only two compartments were accessable so they were the only ones used. There was one on each side both on the bottom floor. The entire top floor was closed off. You might be able to see wasp nests in one of the top floors. I'll clean this out tomorrow, get an insert sleeve for the pole and get it back in the ground and put up the vacancy sign. Will need a new cable and a little bit lube to get things rolling real good. It also has all necessary nest trays.
Attachments
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 pm

For some reason I can't get two photos in one post. So here is the 2nd one.
Attachments
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg (93.18 KiB) Viewed 3966 times

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm

T-

I'm Plano. My birds arrive every March however there are others that arrive in February. Every now and then there will be a report of one arriving in January. Every year is different.

I always remind myself by visiting the research tab at the top then selecting scout report. You can actually look years back.

Regardless of all of that, I am always hopeful and in anticipation of arrivals so I am ready to go by the end of January.

Also. If you are in need of pine needles for pre nesting let me know and I'll share my gathering location with you. It's on the West side of Lake Lewisville.

Coolwhips.
I graduated from PSHS back in the ‘80’s. Good times!
I was checking out the research tab earlier. Lots of good info. I am in Lewisville every Wednesday, so I would love to find out where to go for some pine needles.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm

Yep. I went to WT White in the 80's. Graduated in 83.

Sent you an e-mail with the location of the pine needles.

Coolwhips.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Coolwhips.
I received your email. Thank you! I was actually about 2 minutes from there last night. I was over in the Lewisville area last night watching the National Championship game at a friend’s house. Crossed over that very road on my way home cutting thru downtown Lewisville. Small world.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Coolwhips.
I received your email. Thank you! I was actually about 2 minutes from there last night. I was over in the Lewisville area last night watching the National Championship game at a friend’s house. Crossed over that very road on my way home cutting thru downtown Lewisville. Small world.
Small indeed.

Watch your speed down Lake Park Rd. When it says 20mph they enforce the hell out of it. Specially on days when there are games at the soccer and baseball fields.

tlragsdale

Postby tlragsdale » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Sorry that I didn't have time to look over all the replies, but--just in case no one suggested it--if I were there, I'd make sure the new neighbor knew what PM's are, and--if he/she is interested--"coach" them into becoming landlords.

Just a suggestion/sorry for the duplication, if someone else already hit the topic.

Hope the 2020 season is a great one for you and your colony.
Terry & Michelle
New Richmond, WI

2005 - 2014 Hard luck stories
2015 - 2 pair, 12 eggs/12 fledglings
2016 - 6 pair, 35 eggs/35 fledged
2017 - 18 pair, 88 eggs / 85 fledged.
2018 - 23 pair, 119 eggs/115 fledged.
2019 - 31 pair, 137 eggs/133 fledged

G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Two SuperGourd poles (12 gourds on each) at River Point Assisted Living Center.

Postby G Saner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Whippy,

That model was called a Trio-Wade. Kind of a luxury version of their standard 12 compartment house. I'm thinking 1970s but could have been the 1980s. Looks to be in great shape. Someone knew something about martins to remodel the compartments to 6 double rooms unless this model is newer than I think. You usually don't find houses with winter door stops still in place. They always get lost. I would buy porch dividers so the babies don't use the continuous porch to enter the wrong cavity. If you already have martins, I bet this house does very well next year. Good luck.
G Saner

TerryW

Postby TerryW » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 pm

If you like Trio Houses move it and use it as a part of your colony, and the problem will be gone. If not, move it and use it a year or two and then toss it and the problem will be gone. The more you scratch your head and consider this and consider that, the more interested the new owners may become, and the first thing you know they may improve things, even adding other cavities and then you will have two colonies that are probably too close together. Can two colonies exist real close together, probably, but personally I would not like it.

Do yourself a favor and make steps toward being rid of the nuisance of its being there.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Trio Martin House

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Does the aluminum roof have a smooth surface or does it have a crinkled texture? Use a wood block as a buck and use a nylon or hard rubber hammer to tap out the dents in the roof. No metal hammer because it will leave little dimples in the aluminum. Use a wet Magic Eraser sponge and water to rub out dirt or mildew on the roof and painted surfaces. No sandpaper unless you want a lot of scratches.
Someone knew what they were doing by cutting the large holes in the dividing walls for expanded compartments. You need SREH entrances for the entry holes and either pop rivet the winter door stops onto the doors that will become the compartment doors or buy blank Trio doors.
Is the winch intact on the pole or is it missing/damaged? If you only need a replacement cable, we will have specific recommendation for the stainless steel cable from Home Depot. No coated or plain carbon steel cable, it will rust and fail. I have used the same stainless steel cable for many years on my Trio winch systems without need for replacement.
When you get the ground socket, make sure that the bottom of the ground socket is open to drain into gravel under the concrete. If you do not let the ground socket drain, then it will fill with water and rust out quickly.
I am a firm believer in porch dividers to reduce porch dominance by a single male.

I hope that Matt F. will chime in soon for information and suggestions!
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 pm

4th Gen,

The roof is textured.

The winch was intact and seems to work well. I applied some liquid wrench to it and it runs real good now. It appears that all original pieces are there. I have no idea who put the house up originally but he/she did a good job. I think the residential house has changed hands twice since this Trio was put up.

There isn't any mildew or anything on it as it's pretty clean except for the compartments having not been cleaned in many years of use.

Where do you recommend I get the SREH entrances for this. The door plugs were firmly fixed so I'll be able to use them again.

How far from my gourd rack should I put this house for it to be a part of my colony? Right now I have it planned to be about 25 feet from my gourd rack.

Thanks,

Coolwhips

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:49 pm

Sorry that I didn't have time to look over all the replies, but--just in case no one suggested it--if I were there, I'd make sure the new neighbor knew what PM's are, and--if he/she is interested--"coach" them into becoming landlords.

Just a suggestion/sorry for the duplication, if someone else already hit the topic.

Hope the 2020 season is a great one for you and your colony.
tlrags--

The neighbors property is not able to support a Martin house which is why I'm moving it. I did educate her a little bit on the Martins and she said she would look them up and learn more. She is able to see my gourd rack from her back yard and will be able to see the Trio more often and better after it is moved. It was tucked away on the side of her house and has become surrounded by trees and a bush. Have a look on the first page of this thread at the google maps photo and you'll get a good idea of the layout.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Coolwhips

4th Gen Martin Fan

Trio-Wade TW-12 Martin House

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 pm

I would recommend you read the posts made by Matt F. about the Trio-Wade TW-12 martin houses in this 2017 post;
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... io#p271995
I am so excited that the TW-12 used the larger 1 3/4" diameter, heavier 14 gauge Trio pole system that is used on the Trio Castle PMC-24. The TW-12 was definitely the top of the line rectangular house. Double check the OD diameter of your pole before you order your ground socket!

I love the location which you marked with a red X on your picture! That will give room for another gourd rack between the present gourd rack and the Trio-Wade house. I can be a strong persuader of purple martins!!
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: Trio-Wade TW-12 Martin House

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:03 pm

I would recommend you read the posts made by Matt F. about the Trio-Wade TW-12 martin houses in this 2017 post;
https://www.purplemartin.org/forum/view ... io#p271995
I am so excited that the TW-12 used the larger 1 1/2" diameter, heavier 14 gauge Trio pole system that is used on the Trio Castle PMC-24. The TW-12 was definitely the top of the line rectangular house.

I love the location which you marked with a red X on your picture! That will give room for another gourd rack between the present gourd rack and the Trio-Wade house. I can be a strong persuader of purple martins!!
Thanks for the info.

I'll go ahead and plant the pole where the red X is and move forward. But for now I'll read the post you recommended.

Thank you,

Coolwhips.

4th Gen Martin Fan

MPS Ground Socket for TW-12 Recommended

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 pm

I would highly recommend you set a ground socket in concrete with pea gravel under the concrete to drain the ground socket and then put the bottom pole into the ground socket like the previous owner did. This MPS 2" OD x 30" long ground socket should be correct for your TW-12:
https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/produ ... nd-socket/
Home Depot closed before I got the information on the stainless steel uncoated wire rope you need for your winch system. You will have to buy some copper or aluminum crimps and assemble the end of the cable that attaches to the TW-12 house. I wonder how 3/32" 7x7 stainless steel uncoated wire rope will wrap around the small spool of the Trio winch assembly? One advantage of the 3/32" is it has a working load limit of 184 pounds which would be more than adequate for a TW-12.
The TW-12 originally came with 1/16" stainless steel uncoated wire rope in a 23' length - the original part number for this replacement winch cable was 728040 and is available from ERVA/Nature House as a turn key, ready to install item.
PMCA Shop has crescent doors for Trio houses. The aluminum is thin gauge metal, lighter and easy to bend when opening and closing the door.
https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/produ ... io-houses/
Nature House sells crescent SREH doors for Trio houses but they are thicker gauge metal, more sturdy and harder to bend when opening and closing the door.
By the way, what is your gourd rack system?
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Re: MPS Ground Socket for TW-12 Recommended

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 pm

I know you can set the bottom pole directly into the ground but I would highly recommend you set a ground socket in concrete with pea gravel under the concrete to drain the ground socket and then put the bottom pole into the ground socket like the previous owner did. This MPS 2" OD x 30" long ground socket should be correct for your TW-12:
https://www.purplemartin.org/shop/produ ... nd-socket/
Home Depot closed before I got the information on the stainless steel uncoated wire rope you need for your winch system.
By the way, what is your gourd rack system?
I plan on planting the pole with gravel at the bottom as that's how I do all poles I plant. When I took it down today it was full of water. After I get it planted I'll get the cable you suggest. I'm going out of town this weekend and hope to have my colony ready for visitors in case they arrive over the weekend. I'm sure they won't since mine all come in March but you never know with the changing weather patterns year to year.

My gourd rack system started out as all S&K Manufacturing but since I've added Troyer gourds. So now I have a few Big Bo Gourds, a few Bo 11 gourds and 4 Troyer gourds. Most gourds have tunnels a few do not. It's a 16 gourd rack system with 8 above and 8 below. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Thank you.

Coolwhips

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:07 am

Here is the photo of my gourd rack all set up and ready to go. I'll probably add 4 or 6 more Troyer Horizontal gourds. Still debating. Three of the 4 I have now were used last year and I found one egg in the fourth one. Seems the egg was laid but the gourd was never used. I never saw Martins actively using it but did see a few SY birds visit it from time to time. A nest was never built. Just laid on the pre-nest I put in.
Attachments
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 am

Here is the photo of my gourd rack all set up and ready to go. I'll probably add 4 or 6 more Troyer Horizontal gourds. Still debating. Three of the 4 I have now were used last year and I found one egg in the fourth one. Seems the egg was laid but the gourd was never used. I never saw Martins actively using it but did see a few SY birds visit it from time to time. A nest was never built. Just laid on the pre-nest I put in.
Nice setup.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”