Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Postby Whippy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Hello all.

I started my colony 4 years ago (entering my 5th year in 2020 ) as I was enjoying watching a pair of Martins using the house across the alley. I give all credit to the activity of this house for the success of my gourd colony. I have 16 cavities with assorted gourds. I had 4 pair in 2019.

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking over this house and begin to maintain it, clean it, and pre nest it this year. I may even take it down and expand the cavities from 12 rooms to six rooms. Right now only two rooms are accessable which is why the over flow came into my gourds thus starting my colony.

In addition to it being abandoned by the property owners (old ones moved out, new ones moved in) the neighbor next door is now building a 10 foot cedar fence only one foot away from the pole of this house. Not sure how that will effect the current residents of the house. The bushes and trees have also grown closer to it over the years and have not been trimmed back. Homeowners obviously don't care or know about Martins.

So my choices are:

1. Take down the house clean it, expand the rooms and offer 6 cavities and leave it where it is hoping the new fence and encroaching trees and bushes will be over looked by it's long time residents and new arrivals.
2. Move the pole and house to my yard that will be less obstructed but 45 feet from it's original position and 50 feet from my gourd rack, close to my house and close to my fence yet, less obstructed. Probably put it where the red "X" is. Naturally I will ask the homeowner who inherited it if I can move it if I decide to.
3. Or I can leave it alone, let nature take its course, and hope the Martins continue to over flow and move into the 16 cavities I offer unobstructed.

I like the idea of having this house operational as the more Martins I have in the sky, the better the chances are of expanding my colony.

In the photo you can see my gourd rack at the bottom center. Top center above that you will see a small white rectangle between the two people houses and close to the bushes which is the small 12 room Martin house. You can see how the tree and bushes have encroached on it as they are 14 feet away plus it's only 10 feet from the one residence and 19 feet from the other. The new fence will be just under the Martin house. If I move it I plan to move it into that open area next to the brown tree in the corner of my yard. Much more open fly way than there is now. It is cool watching the Martins dive into this location as it is now but I am afraid time is running out due to the encroachments. Right now there is a direct line of sight between this house and my gourds so, If I move it, I'll want to try to keep a line of sight between the two as the I think it helps to have it.

So interested in what you guys and gals would recommend.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.29.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.29.12 PM.png (476.41 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 7 pair

Re: Abandoned (by homeowners) Martin house across the alley

Postby PMDavid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Snag it whippey ....do it! I don’t think that’s too far to move. The returning residents would probably find it fairly quick. It is a move,but with the ongoing encroachment and now the fence it may be best to make the move.

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Relocating Abandoned Martin House across the Alley

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Move it ASAP. Get permission from current landowner if possible. I suspect that the current landowner has no interest or idea what the martin house is.
I feel more confident in its future with you. If you do not move it then it will become a haven for pest birds and you will regret that you didn't do something about it now.
The current landowner will get more benefit from the martin house in your property than in its current location.
Anyone putting up the fence might damage the pole or house so that is why I suggest move it ASAP.
The time it has taken for me to write this post is time I would have spent taking the house, pole, and concrete base away. Very little evidence would be left that the house was even there when I am finished.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:56 pm

I know Kyler had great success when he moved his houses which is what made me think that moving this one might be the best thing to do.

I just went over there to inspect the house and set up to see how easy of a move it might be and, as I was leaving, the homeowner drove up. So I had a chance to speak with her and was able to explain to her a little bit about Purple Martins and what they like and don't like and asked if I could move the house. She said, "We never put food out for them nor do we ever spend any time on this side of he house so please move it if you wish." The crazy thing is that she will see it more when I move it than she over did in the last 3 years she lived there. She said she will learn more about them on Google as she did express an interest specially when I told her they migrate from the rain forest and are dependent on humans for nesting cavities.

When I was there I noticed the tree has grown to within 5 feet of the house itself. I think moving it will be the best for all concerned.

The pole is inserted in a PC sleeve so it'll be easy to disassemble and move. Will probably do it in the next couple of days. I will take a picture of it and try to duplicate the orientation of the house but not sure that's real important. Will try to keep it the same as possible though just to be on the accommodating side of things.

Open to any and all suggestions so fire away.

Thanks,

Coolwhips

4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Moving Abandoned Martin House

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Thank goodness the landowner agrees to the move and understands that she will benefit more from your location.
When you erect the martin house on your property, do not worry about previous orientation. Set the house up for your needs and best benefit for the martins. Any martins that occupied it last year will move to your location this season.
What kind of martin house is it? Trio/Nature House, Coates, etc.,??
Mark.
Firm believer in Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, S&S Control, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Glad to hear you are moving it. I agree that the move won't be too far and they will adapt easily. I think all involved (Martins, you and neighbor) will benefit from the move. Anxious to here how it all works out.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 pm

4th Gen

I don't know the name of it. I'm a gourd guy. However, it is a two story house with porches all around. 3 cavities on each level with 6 cavities on each side. I've seen the video made by PMCA where the landlord drilled a hole in the division and closed off the other side to make 6 large compartments. I plan to do the same with this one so I'll have the 6 cavities rather than 12. Will also put the SREH on it although I've not seen a starling or a sparrow in the 6 years I've been a landlord. But, as soon as you let your guard down.....so I'll put in the SREH's.

I'll post a picture of it tomorrow but it looks like this one from this video by PMCA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERNa4HXaS74

I'm looking forward to taking this one over and all advice and ideas are welcome.

Thanks all.

Coolwhips

4th Gen Martin Fan

Larry Melcher videos

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

I enjoy all of the videos which Larry Melcher produced for the PMCA. They are very informative.
If the martin house across the alley has its original paint then it will have green floors/porches, white paint on the house and an aluminum roof. The original manufacturer was Trio in Griggsville, IL and the current manufacturer is Nature House, Inc. in Chicago, IL.
If you can confirm that it is truly a Trio or Nature House, Inc. (NH) house then many of us will have questions about the house, pole, and lift system so we can make great suggestions. Many parts are available to restore, rebuild and modify the Trio/NH houses.
There are a group of martin landlords who, for many reasons including nostalgia, like Trio/NH houses. A nickname has been assigned to us -"Trio Jedi" and a few are considered "Trio Jedi Master". We might be considered a little eccentric in the purple martin community but we have a lot of fun.
A picture of the house will be very useful for Trio Jedi to help you with suggestions and help.

May the Trio Force be with You.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Gen 4,

Based on your description I may have an original.

The attachment IMG_0161.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg (96.23 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Hopefully this angle will give you an more of an idea of the hardware.

I think the perches should be on top of the house and not below it. I've never seen a Martin sit on these. I believe they like to sit above their cavity and be able to swoop down to it.
Attachments
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg (145.74 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
Last edited by Whippy on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Another one.
Attachments
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg (149.6 KiB) Viewed 3491 times

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Recently purchased Trendsetter 12

Postby T-Bird » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 pm

Nice house! Glad you are moving it.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks, T.

I plan on moving it tomorrow after the Jedi's make their recommendations. It's in real good shape and, from what I can see so far, the compartments appear to have already been enlarged. I'll be able to know more about it once I get it into my shop. I may order new hardware and keep it as original as I can.

Coolwhips.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Early Trio Martin House!!

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Holy moly!! We need Matt F., Trio Jedi Master and Trio historian, to tell us which Trio model you have. I thought you were joking when you said that the porches go all the way around the house! Proof is in the pictures. Great rescue of a very nice Trio martin house. It is worth every bit of your efforts.
I will try to contact Matt F. and ask him to give us more information!
If possible, get everything including the pole even if it means digging up the concrete. I know that is a lot of work, been there and done it many times to rescue an abandoned Trio house. You will be surprised how many you will find in older neighborhoods now that you know what a Trio house looks like.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

T-Bird

Postby T-Bird » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks, T.

I plan on moving it tomorrow after the Jedi's make their recommendations. It's in real good shape and, from what I can see so far, the compartments appear to have already been enlarged. I'll be able to know more about it once I get it into my shop. I may order new hardware and keep it as original as I can.

Coolwhips.
I’m very new to the forum, and have been seeking guidance from our resident Jedi Masters here lately myself. I am just getting into becoming a landlord for the first time, and am still learning. I just recently cemented in my ground stake for my new house, and received a lot of great suggestions from the board here. What is the situation with your “new” house as far as the pole, and getting it back into the ground?

Having the compartments enlarged already is a nice bonus! I think keeping it original as possible is a good idea.

4th Gen Martin Fan

Matt F., Trio Jedi Master!

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 pm

I have contacted Matt F. and I hope he can help us.
I see several very nice things. A Trio house that raises and lowers by rope or steel cable and a tube inside the house that allows a martin perch under the house that can raise and lower with the house.
Someone went to the trouble to get accessories to the Trio house. I wonder if the pole slides into a round ground sleeve that is mounted in concrete.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 pm

T, and Gen 4,

The pole is set in an insert so I should be able to just lift it out of the ground and re-set it the same when I move it. I'll dig a new hole and add a new insert and just cut the old one off at the base and fill the pipe with dirt so the homeowner will not incur any protrusions from the ground.

I looked and saw I can order replacement parts from the manufacturer so right now it's all about the winch and cable. Old cable is rusted and broken so I'll add a new one. Not sure about the winch yet as it's just a handle reel. I'll try to make it work as the house is not hear as heavy as my gourd rack. The pole is a telescoping pole and appears that the joints have been glued so I'll heat those up and break them apart so I can remove the house from the pole prior to moving.

Coolwhips
Attachments
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg (221.25 KiB) Viewed 3474 times

4th Gen Martin Fan

Trio Martin House Poles

Postby 4th Gen Martin Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Be aware that the Trio poles are heavy gauge steel with a thick zinc coating that lasts a long time. The proof is how good the poles look after all these years of outside exposure. When heating up the poles to separate them try not to burn off or melt the zinc coating. The original poles are not thin wall conduit pipe!
A Trio WInch Conversion Kit and Trio Ground Socket are available for the Trio Pole even from the PMCA Shop. A Trio Winch Conversion Kit has all of the supplies you might need to repair or convert a broken winch system which is much better than the rope system. If you only need the cable then the stainless steel cable is available at Home Depot. We will have to figure out which Ground Socket you need based upon the diameter of the pole.
Exciting stuff!! The first report of purple martin in Corpus Christi, TX occurred today.
Mark.
PMCA Member.

T-Bird

Re: Trio Martin House Poles

Postby T-Bird » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Be aware that the Trio poles are heavy gauge steel with a thick zinc coating that lasts a long time. The proof is how good the poles look after all these years of outside exposure. When heating up the poles to separate them try not to burn off or melt the zinc coating. The original poles are not thin wall conduit pipe!
A Trio WInch Conversion Kit and Trio Ground Socket are available for the Trio Pole even from the PMCA Shop. A Trio Winch Conversion Kit has all of the supplies you might need to repair or convert a broken winch system which is much better than the rope system. If you only need the cable then the stainless steel cable is available at Home Depot. We will have to figure out which Ground Socket you need based upon the diameter of the pole.
Exciting stuff!! The first report of purple martin in Corpus Christi, TX occurred today.
Hey 4th Gen,

How long will it take for them to get to the DFW area? My house isn’t up yet!!

Whippy
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Good stuff, 4th Gen.

I'm on my way over to get a better assessment of the situation. I will report back what I find out.

Coolwhips.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”