new here - need help with pole for Cedar Suite

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
JYoung

new here - need help with pole for Cedar Suite

Postby JYoung » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:42 am

Hi All,

My 15 yro son is working on his Eagle project and would like to build a purple martin house and place in a nearby state park (we live in Indianapolis). The naturalist at the park is familiar with purple martins and helped maintain a colony at a different state park he worked at (but this one does not have any houses), so he and his staff are willing to be landlords if a colony is established. He has done some fundraising already so has a good chunk of $ and really likes to build (so doesn't want to just buy a house) and will have one of the Scout dads who has the tools and knowledge to help him, but it can't be too complicated of a build (eg: I think the T-14 is a bit much for him to bite off). So he was thinking about the Cedar Suite; however we're having a difficult time finding a pole that would work (I called PMCA and they said there used to be a pole specific for that plan, so they were going to check with manufacturer to see if they still offered). We were wondering if anyone has used the multi-purpose pole to mount 2 Cedar Suites? I know the weight limit is 50 pounds, so we're a little concerned that 2 wooden houses may overload the pole. Anyone have thoughts? Other ideas for poles if that one won't work? To make things easiest for the park staff, he thought having the pulley system was important - does the winch really make it a lot easier (that's cutting into a big chunk of his funds he has raised just on the pole if he adds the winch!) He is still in discussion with the park about the site, but the option he is looking at is near a small lake and has a pretty open area, so I think it would work. We know there are purple martins in Indy as there is a big colony that comes to another park across town (on a bigger body of water), so I'm hoping a colony can be established at this park as well. I've attached a couple pictures (the park doesn't want to obstruct lake view, so we're thinking in the grassy area across from the bike path).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
Jenny Young
Attachments
location1.jpg
location1.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
location2.jpg
location2.jpg (125.25 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
location1.jpg
location1.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
location1.jpg
location1.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Last edited by JYoung on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JYoung

Re: new here - need help with pole for Cedar Suite

Postby JYoung » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:43 am

I'm not sure why pictures didn't post; anyone know if there is a size limit? they appeared to load but do not show up in post. Thanks!

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020:?
Home colony: 17 natural gourds, one 6 compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: excluder, troyer horizontal, super gourds with tunnels. 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: ?
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm

This may help, rather detailed so should be easy enough. This was from an earlier post by forum admin.
Tom

To add a photo to an existing post, or a new topic, scroll down to the the bottom of the post, underneath the Save draft/Preview/Submit buttons, and click on the tab that says Attachments. Click on 'Add files' and it should open a window allowing you to browse your computer files, where you can find the image you would like to upload. Select the image and hit 'Open'.

When you click on the Preview button you should see the filename located in the attachments below the post and it will show up as either an image, or a link (depending on how large the image is) in the post. Whether or not an image is displayed as a picture within the post, or if it displayed as a link, depends on the dimensions of the image. If your image width or height is larger than 1024 pixels, then it will be displayed as a link. Anything smaller should show up as an image within the post.

The overall file size should be under 500KB. If you upload an image larger than 500KB, it will not post. Most computers should come with software needed to resize an image, or there are online sites that can resize the image for you like http://resizeimage.net
Tom

2016- two visitors
2017- 5 pair 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs 85 Fledged
2019-17 pair 81 fledged
2020:

Satellite location: oso bay preserve 12 gourds, modified trio
2019: Visitors
2020: hopeful!!!

JYoung

Postby JYoung » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks Tom; looks like the size of my pics were too large.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”