New to Martins and Forum....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Re: New to Martins and Forum....

Postby Rodger Drye » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm

T-Bird,

The “Dawn Song” is just that an attraction tool that should be played at “Dawn” everyday until you get Martin’s coming in. I believe that’s what the PMCA here recommends . I feel like to play it anymore would just be a waste and would contribute to confusing your Bird’s.

I think it is an essential factor especially if you’ve never had Martin’s before. From my own experience I like to play the “Dawn Song” from 4:00a.m. Till 6:00a.m., and the “Daytime Chatter” from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. When you get a substantial amount of Bird’s coming in then I turn the “Dawn Song” OFF because it has done it’s job.

Occasionally I do play the “Daytime Chatter” in the afternoon’s just to watch my Bird’s reaction. You’ll find out what works for you best and adopt that for your specific Colony. Everyone on this Forum probably has a different opinion on this subject.
But I’m sure you’ll find out what works best for you after you’ve done a little experimenting.

Good Luck Attracting Martin’s for the 2020 Season...!

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.

T-Bird
Martin Colony History: Rookie Season
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:05 pm

T-Bird,

The “Dawn Song” is just that an attraction tool that should be played at “Dawn” everyday until you get Martin’s coming in. I believe that’s what the PMCA here recommends . I feel like to play it anymore would just be a waste and would contribute to confusing your Bird’s.

I think it is an essential factor especially if you’ve never had Martin’s before. From my own experience I like to play the “Dawn Song” from 4:00a.m. Till 6:00a.m., and the “Daytime Chatter” from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. When you get a substantial amount of Bird’s coming in then I turn the “Dawn Song” OFF because it has done it’s job.

Occasionally I do play the “Daytime Chatter” in the afternoon’s just to watch my Bird’s reaction. You’ll find out what works for you best and adopt that for your specific Colony. Everyone on this Forum probably has a different opinion on this subject.
But I’m sure you’ll find out what works best for you after you’ve done a little experimenting.

Good Luck Attracting Martin’s for the 2020 Season...!

Rodger
Thanks for the info! Do you know if you can find it on Spotify, or do you have to get a cd ? I do have outdoor speakers, and have Spotify running through a Sonos setup, but don’t currently have a CD player connected.

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:22 pm

The adult male Martin will sing the Dawn Song to attract other Martins to his colony. He sings this predawn. You can play a CD, mp3 or other recording of the Dawn Song through some type of outside speakers or the like. Any Martin within ear shot will come in to investigate and will have a look at your housing to see if they might want to take up housekeeping. I personally would play it all day long, others prefer only morning and maybe evening. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and experiences. I hope you enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the info!

T-Bird
Trendsetter 12
PMCA Member

Postby T-Bird » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Ok. I figured out how to get youtube to play through my Sonos system so now I can play the Dawn Song in the mornings outside. :grin:

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”