Assessment of my yard

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Freddie

Assessment of my yard

Postby Freddie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Hello Guys,

I made this account in hopes that people would assess my situation and tell me point blank and honestly whether I can host Purple Martins (or PMs as I've noticed here). So here we go... My backyard roughly measures 80' x 60', the north and south side being 80' and east and west sides are roughly the 60'. There is a treeline on the north and the south side is the back of the house, with the east and west being fences. East fence is about 4' high but the west fence is around 8' I'd say.

*****************Trees********************************
-------------------------------------------------------
| |
| |
| |
-------------------------------------------------------
Back of house

So I need to know, before I spend the time making preparations for this, can I host purple martins? Please give me an honest, constructive assessment. Thanks.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Re: Assessment of my yard

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 pm

First welcome! Good use of resources. How high are the trees? Our yard is about your size. Also do you have martins nearby as far as u know?
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:47 pm

The best thing to do is to get a screen shot from Google earth of your yard and upload it here. It is hard to get a feel for the best housing position based just on measurements. Seeing how tall the trees are, the house, outbuilding, etc. all can make a difference.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:55 pm

Ok so here's a screenshot of the yard via google maps. As far as the questions:

1. How tall are the trees?
They're very tall lol but I'm estimating around 50-60 ft at the treeline.

2. Are there any purple martins in the area as far as I know?
I've never seen them in my area.

The back of the house is fairly tall as well, I'd say about 20-25'.

Edit: I cannot attach a file for whatever reason...
Edit2: DID IT!!

Freddie

Postby Freddie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Posted the picture of my yard from google maps. Is the attachment function working on this forum?

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:33 am

Its difficult to post pictures.
Ok, from the view looks like you have room. If those trees in the back are yours id trim branches back or cut one or two out looks like mature pines? Just to the left looks to be a small tree? Consider cutting it out cuz it will encroach. Dont worry about the fences or a tall house.

Id say go for it, id start with a PMCA 6 gourd system, very easy to maintain, smaller footprint. Or a grandpa trio house, modify the compartments from 12 to 6. Martins like them both. Now you may want to consider playing the dawn song and put out martin decoys as well when they are due in your area. It will assist you in getting their attention.

If i were you(if you have facebook) id reach out to the michigan purple martin friends. You can also navigate here and find out if there are mentors in your area. Be alert when driving through neighborhoods near you and look for martin houses youd be surprised, just go introduce yourself if they are martin fans they will talk! If you do find any and they have martins, replicate theirs (if they have a house, get a house).
Hope this helps you out and i hope you get your martins, dont lose hope, may take a bit to draw them in but its worth it.
Just my 2 cents,
Tom
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for the info, so to answer some of your questions, The trees on the treeline do not belong to me. That's about where the property line ends. They're not mature pines. The small tree I've considered cutting down but I do trim it to a small size every now and then so I'll just keep doing that. It's a tree that was already there when I bought the house. I trimmed it severely last year in an attempt to kill it but it actually looks prettier now. I'll see if I can find what types of houses are around. I know I've seen them before somewhere around here but I don't remember what they look like. I'm currently growing natural gourds and I've read most of what this website has on PM housing. Is there anything I should watch out for in natural gourds? I'll see if I have something for next year then. I'll see what local martin groups do. Again thanks for the info.

C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:28 pm

Very good, you do what i do...wife has a small orange tree that i dont water and cut when shes not looking. Just keep it stunted and if sucessful in getting martins you will change your mind i think. :lol: if those trees cannot be cut back id suggest press with your plans, look and ask around your area for land lords.
Gourds especially preparing natural gourds is an art, john barrow has a good article here on it...ill look for it for you but think its under resources. I have a bunch he gave me, and love them for their spacue and light weight, martins cant resist them. Theres something about natural gourds that draws me in, maybe its the back to basics, beauty and history of our beginnings in bringing martins into our living space. Dunno. Natural gourd hanging on a good system is easy, but preparing the holes for the tunnels, and access port requires some engineering...ill dig up the article.
I hope you are sucessful in this endeavor, its good for the soul.
Here a link to the article: https://www.purplemartin.org/uploads/me ... ip-403.pdf.
Tom

2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged

Freddie

Postby Freddie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:22 am

Ok thanks guys, I’ll see what I can get ready for next year.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”