Texas Landlords. How Many Years Did You Wait For That First Pair

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bird Brain

Texas Landlords. How Many Years Did You Wait For That First Pair

Postby Bird Brain » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:02 pm

I've waited 3 years already. I don't have ideal conditions. I'm surrounded by mature trees. Despite that, I've managed to comply with the 40 foot rule. That's the best I could do. I understand that southern martins are more tree tolerant so 40 feet from trees should be acceptable. I have 2 very open flyways. My pole is above average in height (17 1/2 feet). I have Troyers. I maintain excellent HOSP control. I raised my pole height recently by almost 10 percent with the winch extension upgrade. I know that 1 1/2 feet extension doesn't sound like much, but it did enhance the birds eye view over my roof ridge and did enhance the flyways in 2 directions. Maybe this will make my setup more attractive next year. Have to wait and see. I'm not discouraged or dismayed. I knew from the beginning that patience was required. Anyway, I'd like to know how many years other Texas landlords had to wait for that first pair. Thanks.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Re: Texas Landlords. How Many Years Did You Wait For That First Pair

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Bird brain, waited one year here in Corpus. Like you less than ideal conditions have a tree (an ash) in the neighbors yard about 30 feet away. They dont mind and the hawks do not use it for launching attacks. Iv plans to put up a rack in the front to compensate.

I found out my neighbor had martins 3 years ago, old guy passed away and with him his martins thats how i got that first pair in 2016 to look. 2017 was sucessful.

Texas is good for martins, quite healthy. Dont give up hope.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

rrmartins

Re: Texas Landlords. How Many Years Did You Wait For That First Pair

Postby rrmartins » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:05 pm

I was lucky and had two pair my first year.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Rat breached bird netting and nearly wiped out entire colony over a four day period. Problem was fixed!!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”