He's Really Gonna miss Me !!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

He's Really Gonna miss Me !!

Postby Anthony Neira » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:38 pm

well, with this season over, My P.Ms & I were Really lucky. They arrived on time ( Last of Jan.) BUT they knew something was up !That July & August were going to be Really Hot !, and they told me, by starting their nest building early & egg laying early , Still, House #1, Room #1 ( Upper left) & Gourd #3 were/always the first to lay eggs. We were Really Lucky/spoiled too, in the way that there was rain off & on in May & June & a Constant cool breeze coming from the east. I had 50% (32 out of 64) housing nested in. Out of 170 eggs, 165 hatched, 160 Fledged. My Last fledge ( 1 out of 6 ) was a dozzie ! it's 2 other offspring both took off, made a left north, & up the same Big Pecan tree. The last one did the same, but crashed landed at the bottom of the tree in front of my Cat haven, shed ! :shock: I ran to it saying some prayers & new cuss words that only a Klingon would have understood ! & I found the little sucker hiding in the hollow of the cinder block under the corner of the shed ! :grin: I thought that if it went Under the shed, the Cats would be Happy ! Before I put it back in it's nest, I cheated, & feed it some larger meal worms :grin:. For 2 days , the parents did their thing, where they were Not going to feed it , so that it would get hungry & fly out, looking for food, which, of course worried the Heck out of me ! :???: every time I did a nest check, it was "Frozen" to the back right corner. So I would Rush it inside my house & feed it a couple of Crickets & worms & place it back ( it would go to the same corner ) On the third day, I saw the father go in did a lot of dancing, inside, by the opening, to no luck ! The whole colony was waiting on this last scaredy Cat , Fledgeling to FlY !! I did a Quick nest check, & found it, STILL Frozen to the back right corner, but with a dead Black Cricket dad had tried to feed it, on the floor. I took the Fledelig & Cricket quickly down & inside my kitchen, dipped the cricket in water, & placed it in front of the fledgeling's face, as it open it's mouth to defend itself, I Gently put the cricket, head first, into it's mouth, Which it swallowed !! :shock: :grin: I The RAN back to the ladder, up to the house, & put it in it's nest, But This time it went to the LEFT Corner ! & didn't look as scared ! I raised the house & waited..thirty minutes later I heard from my bedroom , next to the base of the poles, a bunch of P.Ms doing their Crazy Chatter when a Fledgeling flys & circles their house/Gourd, & That's what I saw through my widow ! It HAD to be the last one! I then ran out to check the house, and it was gone ! :grin: Back to the title of this post, In ALL my landlording years, I've Never had a P.M who would wait for me to dive directly at my face & get closer Every Day, Like this ASY Male P.M who perched on top of pole #1. The last time he did it I could have reached out & grabbed Him ! I've never seen an open mouth bird with wings spread out SO Close to my Face ! I Can't wait/hope to see him again ! I Really Miss Him !! :-(
Last edited by Anthony Neira on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Re: He's Really Gonna miss Me !!

Postby C.C.Martins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:03 pm

He is going to miss you! Oh and hell never ever forget. Boy some of the millions of things we accept when becoming a land lord and the lengths well go to to help them out.
Frozen or scared stiff of flying and cat sheds! Probably thinking "im not doing that again" way to go! Another Good save Anthony
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Postby Anthony Neira » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks Tom ! :grin: I forgot to mentioned , that, after I saw the P.Ms going crazy over a Fledgeling Flying around, I DID lower the house & saw that the "Last" one was INDEED NOT there anymore ! :grin: That, HAD to be it ! Thanks again, TOM.
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Success! well done and its good for the soul to see that all the work, worry and effort is bundled into a small creature that is on its way to tbe amazon soon.
Your welcome Anthony.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site

Postby Dave Reynolds » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 am

... Anthony .... What a great story.. Believe it or not but your story has been repeated many times by so many other PM Landlords.. We all have to do something from time to time, to save a young or sometimes a old Martin. Your story was great.. "Keep telling them the way only you can tell them" ... Hope you see him again...

Dave
Home Site
2019 — First pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged :wink:
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2019 -- 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged :wink:
2018 — 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:

PMCA Member

Anthony Neira

Postby Anthony Neira » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks Dave, It always makes me feel good that other Landlords ( Like Toy! & her husband !) try not to give up on saving the ones who get in/or who are given trouble!, Thanks again, Anthony :grin:
Last edited by Anthony Neira on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paule
Martin Colony History: 5 Modified Trios 10 Gourds and 1 B&B
2019 24 Pair 83 Fledged
2018 23 Pair 92 Fledged
2017 26 Pair 105 Fledged
2016 21 Pair 99 Fledged
2015 15 Pair 59 Fledged
2014 18 Pair 40 Fledged
2013 16 Pair 30 Fledged
2012 10 Pair 30 Fledged
Started in late 1980's

Postby paule » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:31 am

:|
Back to the title of this post, In ALL my landlording years, I've Never had a P.M who would wait for me to dive directly at my face & get closer Every Day, Like this ASY Male P.M who perched on top of pole #1. The last time he did it I could have reached out & grabbed Him ! I've never seen an open mouth bird with wings spread out SO Close to my Face ! I Can't wait/hope to see him again ! I Really Miss Him !! :-(
I have had the privilege to have one ASY male do this for the last 5 years. He will hover right in my face. I always say "Well, hello John" after my departed father. I think he would land on my finger if I let him. I don't allow that as he needs to stay wild. He is also the one who lets me know when the colony is short of food. He always picks the same cavity. Trio house 1 cavity 2. This year I was worried because he came in really late. Also unusual was he had an ASY female in tow. He had quite an altercation with another male that had previously claimed his preferred cavity which he won out and they fledged 5 young. I now miss him and worry about him. This is the only venue I can tell this story without people thinking I may be crazy! :lol:
Project MartinWatch participants and supplemental feeding is provided. I also add heat to housing when needed.

Anthony Neira

Postby Anthony Neira » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks paule, No, I'll say that we here are all in the same "Purple Submarine" ( it's a Beatle's reference, to all you younger Landlords ! :wink: :grin: ) I hope your's comes back next season ! :grin:

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”