going south for the winter

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
barbiejoe

going south for the winter

Postby barbiejoe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:01 pm

When will all the MN purple martins have flown past South Missouri? I'm ready to take my gourds down, but I want all those martins to see them first. barbiejoe
After 3 years, I gave up and put two gourds out, hoping to get other birds to nest. I did. Had one pair of tree swallows and ONE pair of purple martins. The PM had 4 hatchlings. One died in the nest and one was found on the ground two days running and died that night. Two flew successfully.

randyM
Martin Colony History: Had 2 wooden and 1 plastic house up since 2004. Added plastic gourds to housing in June of 2015, had SY male stay for 3 weeks. Had lots of late visitors during late fall migration while playing martin chatter CD. Added more decoys and multiple styles of plastic gourds to my spread in 2016...it worked - 1 pair (ASYM + SYF) fledged both young that hatched!! S & S control done studiously every year.

2017 - 4 nesting pairs, 16/17 eggs hatched and all 16 young banded and fledged. Also had 5 extra SY males and 1 SY female stay during the nesting season.

2018 - 10 nesting pairs (7 ASYM, 3 SYM & 3 ASYF, 7 SYF), 52 eggs, 46 hatched, 45 fledged, 29 banded. Two banded males from 2017 hatch returned home. One successfully nested, the other stayed a few weeks and left.

2019 - 32 nests, 160 eggs - 25 ASYM & 7 SYM. The two males banded in 2017 again returned home now in ASY plumage, and two SY females and one SY male banded in 2018 returned in 2019. 87 HY banded in 2019.

Re: going south for the winter

Postby randyM » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

I've had migrating birds visit my colony in South Dakota each year until about Sept. 15. I still have a family of 6 hanging around my site that fledged on Aug. 15. I play the daytime chatter CD each day during migration and have about 3-8 visitors each day (including some ASY birds). I'd suggest to keep your housing up through at least Labor Day weekend, if not a few weeks after that if you want any of the last migrating birds to see your site. If you have the chatter CD, I'd recommend playing that as well to increase chances of having some migrating birds stop in for a visit. Good luck!

barbiejoe

Re: going south for the winter

Postby barbiejoe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Thank you Randy M. I will leave the gourds up and go look for my CD of chatter. barbiejoe
After 3 years, I gave up and put two gourds out, hoping to get other birds to nest. I did. Had one pair of tree swallows and ONE pair of purple martins. The PM had 4 hatchlings. One died in the nest and one was found on the ground two days running and died that night. Two flew successfully.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”