Martin Roost - Central Kentucky 2019

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
scottfreidhof

I used to call this roost the "Lexington roost" but the birds have moved around enough from year to year that central Kentucky is more accurate. A large donut is visible on radar each morning that covers all of Madison County. A local birder discovered the roost on the south side of Richmond a couple days ago. The birds are roosting in trees in an old field adjacent to the Sherwin Williams distribution plant at 395 Boggs Lane, Richmond, KY 40475. Coordinates for the roost are 37.72289 and -84.28737 or 37 43 22.4 and -84 17 15.4. I hope to get over there this evening to enjoy.
scottfreidhof

I visited the roost on Sunday, Aug. 4. Numbers of birds in the air probably peaked around 8:45 pm and by 9:03 pm all the birds had fallen out of the sky and down into the woodlot. There were probably tens of thousands of birds in the air as is usual for a roost in this part of the state. Several other birders enjoyed the show that same evening. My 13-year old daughter was hit in the leg by a dropping. I told her it was a badge of honor worth an ice cream treat for the long drive home.

Prior to arriving at the roost, we watched about a thousand martins staging at Lake Reba. Lake Reba is located about 2 miles to the northeast of the this year's roost. By 6:00 pm martins were perched in trees along the lake edge and on powerlines in the park. Every once in a while a few hundred birds would leave the black locust trees all at once and circle out over the lake. The surface of the lake appeared to be peppered by "rain" drops as the flock passed over. Closer to the dam there were two groups of martins swirling low over the water's surface. My 10-year old boy tuned into the call of the birds staging in the trees. He said a few times that they did not sound like the purple martins in our yard but instead like grackles. I had not thought much about it because I had heard that call many times in the past. It was a new martin sound to his ears. I dare say that I enjoyed watching the staging martins just as much as the big finale at the roost.
jeffwilliams72

Hey Scott, that's good info! i'm trying to find the Louisville/Clarksville roost. Have you heard or know anything about it this year?
2008/1st pair/ 4 fledged
2009-2010 visitors only
2011/2 pr/9 eggs/8 fledged
2012/9pr/33 fledged
2013/27pr/101 fledged