Sharing Best Practices

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

When I joined the PMCA in January 2004, I was an exasperated hopeful martin landlord. I put up a Trio house and waited and waited and waited. Using advice and suggestions from both PMCA research as well as experienced landlords, I modified my housing, I added gourds, attraction recordings as well as all of the advice from successful landlords. After just a few years, I was finally successful after years of frustration.

Learning from already successful landlords here on the Forum, I was determined to not only have martins, I wanted to grow the seriously declining population here in Wisconsin thru active colony management.. Fast forward just a few years and there are several successful newer colonies within a few miles of here. Martins banded here have been identified and populate colonies as far away as Minnesota. Any success that I experienced was the result of being open to suggestions found here.

Sharing best practices here on the Forum is one of the best ways to assist other hopeful martin landlords looking to raise as many martins as possible from their colonies. I continue to learn from many helpful suggestions every year and have incorporated many into my colony management. Don't be surprised if some might help you to become a successful landlord also.

Share what has worked for you. We will all benefit..

Ed