Nest check today.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

I did a quick nest check this morning just before the storms move in. I found that out of the 43 eggs I had the are now 28 babies in varying ages. I have a couple nest where there are just 2 eggs and they are very brown and dirty looking. Is that normal or are they bad eggs. JHCox Heiskell Tennessee. Thank you 🙏
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
Home colony: mix natural gourds, house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
PMCA member

Been watching your posts but failed to reply, so CONGRATS! Thats great, your there!
Very brown doesnt bode well, but for now id leave them, dirty happens. Parents will move them. Keep an eye on them, if its way past hatching time probably safe to remove them. Just dont want them to go bad and attract bugs.
Congrats again, thats a very good number.
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in SREH and predator protection.
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Thanks Tom. It’s took almost 5 years to get here but I think I’ve made it. Hopefully they will all return next year and bring a few more with them. I have room to grow with 30 cavities. I also have 4 more racks and around 70 more gourds. Hopefully one day I’ll get so many that I’ll have to start putting them up. Thanks again Tom.