First time landlord

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Tommy Coley

deancamp wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:40 pm
If you lower it 2 to 3 feet, they won't act like they even noticed. Leave it down until the threat of strong winds are over. If I lower mine down for a thunderstorm overnight, I don't raise it back up until the next afternoon when I come home from work, so I'm not interfering with ther social time.
Ok, That’s what I’m going to do. Thanks for the advice.
Tommy Coley

Can someone help me in letting me know do you have to register separate to post scout returns.It doesn’t work for me with my account login. Thanks Tommy.
deancamp

Yes you do.
Abigayle0721

I put my condo house up this February, I put 16 gourds up last year. I saw a few visitors last year, nothing until today I saw 6 sitting on my perch I made for them, is this a good sign they will nest this year or next? I live in Jonesville SC
Ransom Graham

Don't get to excited yet! But anytime a Martin comes to visit it's a great sign. If they start investigating your housing and spending the night you are in business! This time in the cycle they are most likely looking for a nesting site!
Abigayle0721

Thanks! I got very excited, lol!
Tommy Coley

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice on starting my colony. This was my 2 nd year trying and it worked out well this year. I had ASY birds & SY birds with 20 pairs in all. Had 40 babies & fledgling 36 they are all gone for this year. Going to make some adjustments on some room sizes to give them a little more room in my house’s. Add another pole and gourds, may build 2 more houses. Don’t know how fast my colony will grow just want to be ready.
Tommy Coley

mjfog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:18 pm
Hey Tommy - How's your season going? Hope those B09s I sent you are full of martins! My 3 racks in my colony are now up to 81 eggs.

Best wishes, Mike
Mike, just wanted to let you know the Martins filled up those bo9’s this year I got from you & some. I had 20 pairs this year. Hatched 40 eggs fledging 36. I’m putting up 2 more houses I built & 18 more Bo9’s . Don’t know how much my colony will grow in 2021 but I’m ready. Thanks to you and everyone who gave me advice.
Tommy Coley

Mjfog , Hey Mike , just wanted to let you know the Martins filled up the bo9’s I got from you this year. I had 20 pair laying 40 eggs. I fledge 36 , I am looking forward to 2021. Not knowing how fast my colony will grow I built 2 more houses with 7 by 12 rooms 8 rooms in each house. Going to put up another post with 18 more bo9’s with tunnels. I also want to thank you & everyone on this site for your help & advise. Tommy.