Finally....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BillieJR

The 1st one I've seen this season was just here. It's trying to figure out where the other ones are at that he/she is hearing from the dawn song on my deck. Thank you, God, for sending one for me to see. I'd love to think it will stay but I've been disappointed in the past so I'll be surprised if it does. I just wanted to let you know - for those of you who are still waiting to even see one this year - it can still happen, apparently. And, I have two houses and a gourd rack and it only paid attention to the gourds. The gourds have conley entrances and it never went inside any of them - just did a lot of looking inside which leads me to believe it was not used to SREHs. But that's just my assumption.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
flyin-lowe

Congrats on the visit, hopefully it sticks around. As for the SREH it is not uncommon at all for new arrivals to stick their head and neck into cavities to check them out. Many people get anxiety and think that they can't get in and change over to round. So don't be concerned that it is not going all the way in a cavity the first day. My first colony was started by a lone SY male who arrived and spent all summer in cavity trying to attract a mate. He never did but when he came back the next year, he went straight to the same cavity as an ASY male and he had no problems attracting a mate, and 4 additional pair. So a lone visitor can get you going, hopefully he finds a mate this year to increase your odds for next year.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
BillieJR

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I can use them at this point. :)

I was concerned about the dawn song - maybe it would confuse and frustrate the visitor - but I left it on.

It's left now and not sure it'll be back. I'm living in a fantasyworld and hoping it went to bring more back later. :)

I have to leave for work in an hour and won't be back til after they would have gone in for the night so IF that does happen - I'll have to wait till morning to see if there's anyone around.

Thanks again! :)
Billie from south central Wisconsin