house sparrow scarer

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
gray fox

Yesterday I checked the tree swallow nest and the entrance hole had a wad of grass plug. Of course several eggs broken. The work of a house sparrow.
The scarer didn't work. I have Blaine trap with live house sparrow in it with food and water but no catches. The minnow type trap does the best. Im not catching the adults causing the problem. Don't have the time to shoot them or been safe shooting around the farmers building. Caught about 70 sparrows last year. I guess Ill have to put wren entrance hole in boxes. Do you think the sparrows will hit the Martin housing since thats the only housing in the area?
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Could very well, be safer to assume yes. Sorry to hear about that, their range isnt that big so if you can get as many as you can until after fledging some of the pressure will be off. I put up a blind in the back but didnt work for sparrows, does for starlings...a trap works best.
Best of luck!
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

House Wrens will pierce eggs as much as House Sparrows.
PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.
gray fox

wrens will pierce eggs but they don't kill mother bluebird.