Hanging by its foot

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Pace

I recently this spring bought some new Troyer horizontal guards for one of my satellite colonies (Vikings lodge). I just stop by to raise the guards back up because of high winds two days before and I'm very glad I did. There was an ASY female hanging by 1 foot upside down flapping frantically trying to get loose. I rapidly brought the rack down and on investigating it was unable to free it so I removed the gourd from the rack and brought it to the trunk of my van . The foot was caught in between the inside of the entrance and that little treadway traction strip that the new Troyer horizontals have in them. My old THG's don't have that traction strip in them so I took a Dremel tool and roughed up that section for better traction getting out of the guard. I am worried that this may happen again at a site where I can't be there all the time , like at home. I was able to finally free her foot after checking it quite extensively I don't think it was broken yet however I'm sure it will be very sore at the very least. Then bringing the gourd back over to the rack and just putting the pin in ,a ASY male flew out in my face after all that time . I will check tomorrow to see if his female is OK.
My question is has anyone else ever had a problem with this horizontal traction Strip in the THG gourd ??. Ed. :-(
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Ed,
I have never had this problem at my location in 14 years. But I can see how a martin can get itself in trouble with these rare unseen areas. No product it perfect and suspect that this will probably never occur again. I think it is a good idea for all landlords to check treads every year for any wear and tear. Yours may not even been worn.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Ed Pace

Hi Dave and thank you for responding to my thread. I also am thinking and hoping that this situation is extremely rare, however these guards are brand new and the traction devices I think have not been out all that long ,so that's the reason for my interest . This morning I did get a chance to go back down and observe the birds are in that particular gourd.My findings were positive the male and female were busy hauling nest material in and out .I could get very close to the female and she showed no sign of having any injury . Hopefully that was his mate and not some kind of a female squabble that would have involved another female. Also good news that no one else answered this thread and had no difficulty of this type. Have a good season. Ed
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Ed,
Good to hear that martin appears to be doing fine. After think more about your concern, I do feel it is in fact a rare event.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.