First pm!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
flmike

I’ve got a pm (my first ever) coming everyday for the last four days... it shows up each morning between 6:30-8 am and stays until noon or 1pm.

It sits on the house gurgling and singing, flying a loop, and going in and out of the compartments.

Is it waiting on a mate to fly by?
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Mike,
Congrats and yes it is waiting for a mate or other martins to come around. If you have a feeding platform or a raised platform it is good to place no oil prepared used small pieces of scrambled eggs during cold wet weather; supplement feeding. Or frozen and then thawed crickets. Cleaned crushed and microwaved for a minute egg shells are also a plus.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
BillieJR

Hooray for you - I hope it finds a mate and stays and brings more with him
Billie from south central Wisconsin
flmike

Here in central Virginia, it’s unusual to have any cold days this time of year... the lows on rainy cold days are still in the high 50’s.

I can’t tell if “my bird” is a male or female... Mostly grey with cream colored chest a bit mottled in the lower neck area in front and a small amount of purple sheen on the crown of its head. It has taken ownership of the house... I have bluebirds nesting 40’ away, they occasionally land on the martin house... it runs them off!
rrmartins

Your on your way!!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Congratulations FL Mike on your first Martin are you playing the Dawn song in the mornings and evenings to help him call in more martins. Good luck I hope you get more Martins soon.
flmike

I tried playing the dawn song in April, but maybe I should start playing it again! Thanks for the poke in that!
rrmartins

The martin will do all the bird calling you need. Sorry to go against the grain here, but I wouldn’t use any recording, he’ll do a much better job on his own.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
flmike

It’s out on the house now chortling away! I have seen the occasional pm do a fly-by, but they never land or do more than a couple passes before moving on.
FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

That’s precisely what happened here last year, and I believe this year also. One very persistent SY sat on “his” house and chirped so much last year I thought he might die of starvation. I’m sure it was the same one this year that appeared early and has managed to coax another 5 pairs and a female for himself, so I went from zero to lots of martins due to him alone. Best decoy and dawn song ever. :grin: