Blue birds and Sparrows and Martin's... Oh my

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Rafke77
Martin Colony History: 2019 The beginning

Blue birds and Sparrows and Martin's... Oh my

Postby Rafke77 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm

As the subject suggests I am having a dilemma with all 3 trying to get into gourds. I had got rid of a pair of sparrows last week, which seemed to take care of the problem until last night I noticed another pair checking out gourds. Now this morning I have a pair of blue birds looking into gourds. It got to the point where I have Martin's getting nesting material, blue birds going into gourds and then chasing sparrows off which landed on the gourds the blue birds were in, all at the same time.

I am not as worried about the blue birds as I am the sparrows. I was able to figure out which gourd the sparrows seem to take to, so I set the sparrow trap back on that gourd. Just a short while ago I noticed the trap door was down so I take the gourd down and get my bag ready, I tap on the gourd and the bird flies into the bag. I open the bag and I see a bluebird looking at me. So I released him back into the wild. I am planning on installing a blue bird house this afternoon about 70' away from the Martin's... I'm really hoping that takes care of them. Then I can focus back on the damn sparrows. This is a full time job.
2019 .....

brent

Re: Blue birds and Sparrows and Martin's... Oh my

Postby brent » Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm

LOL Yes it is a full time job. I have a pair of blue birds that are very content nesting in the box I set up about 40 feet from the martin houses. In fact, they already have one egg which starts their 2nd clutch for this season. I've been catching sparrows and the population has diminished some. Yes, a full time job but a good one, yes?

Rafke77

Postby Rafke77 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

LOL Yes it is a full time job. I have a pair of blue birds that are very content nesting in the box I set up about 40 feet from the martin houses. In fact, they already have one egg which starts their 2nd clutch for this season. I've been catching sparrows and the population has diminished some. Yes, a full time job but a good one, yes?
Agreed! Just wish I had the full time to devote to it since my other full time job gets in the way lol
I hope the 70' away is not too far for the blue birds from the Martin's and they notice it there.
2019 .....

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Wed May 15, 2019 5:51 pm

I have a blue bird house that is 130' away from my Martin housing. Further away than is recommended, but that happens to be where it's always been. The blue birds use the Martin housing to set and hunt from, but I've never had a problem with them trying to nest. Your biggest problem might be getting them to transfer over with out shutting the Martin housing down. I don't have an answer for that one. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Rafke77

Postby Rafke77 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Will do, thanks!
2019 .....

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Just continue to use the trap.

The bluebirds and Martins won't go back in there after being caught one.....maybe twice.

Eventually you will catch the sparrows.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

Rafke77

Postby Rafke77 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Just continue to use the trap.

The bluebirds and Martins won't go back in there after being caught one.....maybe twice.

Eventually you will catch the sparrows.
I went and installed a fairly nice bluebird House facing the gourds. I only had one incident of a Martin going in and getting stuck in the gourd. I honestly think he didn't care though. I took the trap door off and pulled out the trip mechanism and he just stayed laying in there giving me a look like I interrupted his nap 🤨
Attachments
IMG_20190516_122622~4.jpg
IMG_20190516_122622~4.jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 642 times
2019 .....

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”