I HAD A LOOKER!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
gary1702

I HAD A LOOKER!!!

Postby gary1702 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Well this afternoon I noticed a Purple Martin flying around my gourds checking them out. It flew around for a bit and then left, I did have the song bird magnet playing daytime chatter at the time. This is my 3rd year trying, the same thing happened last year. Any chance this is a SY?
Attachments
20190514_193812.jpg
(56.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

brent

Re: I HAD A LOOKER!!!

Postby brent » Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Hard to tell if it's an SY. Looks like ASY male from that position. Good luck to you. I hope the best. I've been fortunate to have a house full last year for my first year. I put up a second house and it, too, is full. I know they will be fortunate at your place.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Not sure where your at in PA, but the scout report is showing sy birds in PA. Nevertheless keep playing the toons and don't give up. Your efforts will be worth it when they stay.

gary1702

Postby gary1702 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 pm

I am in New Tripoli, PA about 1/2 hour North of Allentown, PA. For now I turned off the daytime chatter, last year I had a Martin come and it seemed like it was looking around for the other birds. So for now I am keeping the daytime chatter off to see what happens.

Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Two SY males seen in 9 years.

Postby Ryan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Good luck. It's a great feeling. Haven't experienced it in a few years myself, but also keep the faith.
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2018, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 am

Having any martin check out your location is a good sign. It means they are in the area. They may be from an already established colony and if it was an ASY it will go to it's own colony because of strong site fidelity. If it was an SY, you have a much better chance. Regardless, be willing to wait it out. SY can still arrive later when people think they have no chance; keep your housing open for any possibility and continue playing the dawnsong and daytime chatter CDs. In addition to the CDs, there are other methods in trying to attract a new colony. Smear a little mud on the outside of the entrances, offer crushed eggs shells or oyster shells on a feeding tray or raised platform or near by roof top of driveway. Be sure you have wide open fly ways around your housing, far away from tall trees and closer to your own house. Prenest the cavities with soft white pine needles.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”