Look for capped eggs

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Robert

Hello everyone I did a nest check yesterday and there are 10 new baby martins in the world now :grin: but I also noticed two eggs that were capped . Now I’m sure the more experienced landlords know about capped eggs , for those landlords not as experienced a capped egg can happen when one egg hatches and half of the shell rolls over on top of an egg that has not yet hatched , when this happens the baby martin cannot crack through its shell preventing it from hatching. So if you see a capped egg gently try to remove the cap without cracking the unhatched egg and place it back in the nest if done quick enough you may be able to save a future baby martin, good luck to everyone have a great season.
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
40 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged
2019 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 105 fledged
2020 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 72 fledged
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Excellent post and thank you for the reminder. It is a topic that is easily overlooked.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Fuzzmeister

Good thing you pointed that out, I did not know that I will have to keep an eye out for that thanks.
Robert

Thanks Dave and Fuzzmeister , I just thought I’d post that so we all can try to save as many baby PMs as possible .
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
40 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged
2019 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 105 fledged
2020 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 72 fledged
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Robert, good advice; egg laying is going to gear up for some or is in full swing for others, some have chicks already! last year I had one capped egg, rest hatched and I thought it was not fertile so left it in the cavity. should have checked that one closer...it was capped. a flashlight would be handy for those who hesitate to handle the eggs. That 15 day mark from last egg was laid, is the time to watch close.
Nest checks are important.
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
brent

Nest checks are important and I've been checking every 4-5 days. However, sadly today, I discovered a capped egg that must have been capped the day I did the nest check or very soon after. Unless you check every day it is almost impossible to avoid, I guess. I felt so bad about it. The day I checked the nest I had 5 eggs that were due to hatch that same day. 5 days later in the same nest I have 4 young and one capped egg. I will continue to check the nest every 4-5 days. I just wanted to share today's experience with you.