SY Female & Update in central PA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

An SY Female arrived here Saturday morning. Yesterday we had a rainy day. When it slowed, to a drizzle or light rain at times, I headed out to flip crickets. She watched as I flipped crickets in the morning & tried to catch a few late day. She manged to get 3 or 4. I have to wonder if she was one of my chicks from last year.

Counts as of today 7 ASY Males. 3 ASY Females & 1 SY Female. My colony has shrunk from an average of 12-17 pair to just 7 pair last year. I hope I have more arrive this year. I blame it on neighbors HUGE (60-70 foot tall) trees. Nothing I can do about the trees. He told us he was cutting them down last fall. This year they look a bit sickly, so with any luck they will get cut down. That will open the east fly way. The other fly ways are open.

Some were starting nest building in the rain yesterday, which is the same exact date they started nest building last year. I'll be putting out twigs & nesting material for them today.

We had a cold April & a lot of rain. I've gone thru 1100 crickets so far with just these few martins.

Caught & disposed of 4 starlings so far. No trouble from HS yet.

Best wishes to all for a good martins season.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

Good to hear you are gaining some back again, Should have some 70 degree sunny nice weather for the next couple days which revitalizes everything .

Good luck to you and your colony this yr
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments ?