Nighttime artificial lighting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

I have a dusk to dawn light on my barn that is 115 feet away from my Martin housing. I have not seen any negative effects. My only concern is that it could give night predators an advantage, but have not noticed anything there yet either.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

My office colony is located in the back parking lot which is brightly lit with large halogen lights which dot the entire back lot. The closest light is 30 feet away from the house.
2 ASY male/females pair are currently nesting and they do not seem to mind the bright lights at all. They bed down at dusk and do not come out at night.
Constant daytime activity in the back parking lot, intermittent night time activity at the bank's ATM next door, and bright lights in the parking lot have never seemed to bother the purple martins.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
Robert

Hi Rob I’ve had a colony for some time now and never had lights around it until this year when a neighbor put up a very bright dusk till dawn security light about 50 feet from my gourd pole i had some worries about the effect it would have but I’m happy to say there seems to be no effect I have just as many martins as last season and they are doing well with over 90 eggs so far.
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
40 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged
2019 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 105 fledged
2020 season
23 pairs 122 eggs 72 fledged
MorganW_AL

I have a dusk til dawn light on a nearby open air tractor shed, around 40-50 yards from one of my poles. It has never seemed to cause any issue, and I have approximately equal numbers of birds on a pole farther away from the light. So....it doesn't seem to bother them.
Dale D
Martin Colony History: Landlord since 2004

I have a set of Motion Activated Flood Lights that face directly at my housing and it doesn't have any affect on the Martin's when they come on.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 42 Cavities Total