Why do I not have martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad Biddle

I'll try to post a picture. One thing that I should have said is the 3 holes that you drill will be overlapping. Not 3 individual holes.

Yes, putting gourds on a line will be more attractive than having them under the house. There are also Martins accustomed to that set up within easy flying distance of your place.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Birds
Martin Colony History: 2017: nothing, 2018: discovered the PMCA, new house modifications 2019:Still no Martins. House sparrow and starling hate forever.

Ok yes I have been having some trouble finding natural gourds lately. I was thinking if it was ok if I just cut a crescent hole on the gourds instead of excluder, the excluder seems to have to be very precise or I doesn't work. I'm not sure if a crescent would work with out a porch tho. So I will continue to research about the excluder.
Do you think the setup that I have now will still have a chance at attracting Martins. Because I won't be able to buy any natural gourds until this October when my local farmer puts up his pumpkin stand. :wink:
2017 :installed a Martin house hoping for Martins.
2018 :discovered the PMCA made modifications to a heath house .
2019 : Still no martins yet. House sparrow and starlings hate forever.
Tip :never give up
Mitch Booth
Martin Colony History: 2012 - 0
2013 - 1 pair, 4 eggs, 2 fledged
2014 - 0
2015 - 1 pair, 5 died during week of rain
2016 - 0
2017 - 1 pair, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2018 - 4 pair, 19 eggs, 19 fledged
2019 - 7 pair
2020 - 17 pair

Birds,

Whereabouts in Northeast Ohio are you? Look at my track record and sometimes it just takes persistence. Are you playing the Dawnsong 24/7? Feel free to reach out to me with any questions at three three zero seven zero four five two seven two. I'm in the Akron/Portage Lakes area. As of today I have 9 pm nests and 6 of them have eggs and I'm offering 54 cavaties. I think I'm finally on my way to having a colony and I've tried about everything believe me!

Mitch
2020 - 17 pair 77 eggs 69 fledged
2019 - 7 pair
2018 - 4 pair 19 eggs, 19 fledged
2017 - 1 pair 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2016 - 0 only visits
2015 - 1 pair 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 dead on days 6-7
2014 - 0 only visits
2013 - 1 pair 3 eggs, 2 hatched, 2 fledged
2012 - 0
Brad Biddle

Birds, this is the entrance I was referring too. I use 1 1/8” hole saw like I said because a 1 3/16 makes and oversized hole. You may have to take a flat file and open up the hole a little but don’t get it any larger than 1.190”. 1.1875” is exactly the rift height. I do not use porches with this entrance. Without porches the entrances are very effective SREH. The 3 holes overlap leaving the 4 points. Cut the top ones off, straight across.

Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Those 2 pips on the bottom keep the starling from entering sideways. It forces the birds to go straight in, but a starling's chest is too tall so it quickly flies away. I finally understand so much more, Brad, than I knew 20 years ago.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Brad Biddle

Emil Pampell-Tx wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 pm
Those 2 pips on the bottom keep the starling from entering sideways. It forces the birds to go straight in, but a starling's chest is too tall so it quickly flies away. I finally understand so much more, Brad, than I knew 20 years ago.
That's great Emil. For me, I've been out of the "public" loop for so long and quit experimenting on my own so I'm still in 2010 or so when it comes to Martins. I am glad that there are those of you who have stayed up to date and online over the years. It helps people like me and others who haven't stayed up to date, or those that are just getting started.

If I had it to do all over again I don't know if I would ever have put a porch on a gourd. That gives the starlings something to use to push in the house. I do really like tunnels though.
Birds
Martin Colony History: 2017: nothing, 2018: discovered the PMCA, new house modifications 2019:Still no Martins. House sparrow and starling hate forever.

Unfortunately I can't play the Martin song 24-7. I can only play it in the morning because it annoys the kids throughout the day. Thanks for the pics I will be using it as reference for my future gourd projects.
Birds

Today I saw a Martin land on my house look at the entrance hole and then it left. I have been using decoys and have recently herd decoys bother martins. do you think I should remove them.
Brad Biddle

I use to keep a decoy on one of my gourd racks just to use to distract a hawk. I never noticed it bothering the Martins.

While trying to attract them, you'll second guess everything you do. Some people will suggest playing DS or chatter, some won't. Some will suggest decoys, some won't. Some do all sorts of things, others don't.

Best suggestion I can give you is to put up housing, gourds, etc that most closely match, the closest colonies to your site. Besides offering a good, open site, matching what they're use to is all that really matters. That's my opinion, others will vary.

I use to have 72 gourds, on 3 racks in my back yard. One year I got an abandoned Trio Castle from a local hotel. I converted it to 12 enlarged compartments. I put it there with my 3 gourd racks and I hung 3 gourds underneath it. At the end of the season I had 75 successful Martin nests. Every single one of them was in the gourds.

There are other areas where houses work just fine, but my point is, Martins in my area don't use houses. If I had tried to attract my first pairs years ago in houses, I'd probably still be waiting for my first Martin.

Match what they're use to and don't sweat the rest.
Last edited by Brad Biddle on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Biddle

duplicate
Birds

I have found something that I can build right now. It's called a Styrofoam chalet that doesn't require a saw to be built. I plan on using my own porch and entrance hole instead of buying ones from AS&K like they suggest. Im having trouble adding a link but here is a screen shot tell me what you think thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-06-10-20-22-09.png
Screenshot_2019-06-10-20-22-09.png (334.3 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
Brad Biddle

It won't hurt to build them. Honestly I don't know enough about arrival times in your area to know if you could possibly attract any this late in the season. New arrival time has past for my area. You've written that you can get gourds this fall. If I were you, I would focus on getting prepared for next season with the gourds on a cable. I built one chalet style house out of wood. It was so heavy that I ended up never hanging it. I know the ones made from styrofoam would be very light.
Birds

Bernie nikolai has a good information on chalet. There is sheets of Styrofoam laying round in my garage. So it won't coast me anything to build one and see what happens. :roll:
Matt F.

Brad and I are on the same page.
Like I also mentioned earlier in this thread - matching the type of housing being used to the closest colony to you, will increase your chances.
The gourds on a line idea is a really good one as well.
You mentioned the nearest colony also uses a T-14. If you have enough styrofoam, you might want to consider building a styrofoam T-10 or T-14, to go along with the gourds.
Here's a couple other examples of styrofoam houses:
https://www.purplemartin.org/uploads/me ... se-504.pdf
Birds

Geez thanks for the plans I really appreciate it. I have a 7 ft by 4ft by 1 inch thick sheet so I think that's enough. I just had another flyby today I could not tell for shore if it was a ASY or a SY but their coming around. The Martin seemed very interested in my speaker. Do you think I should just place the t 8 on my telescoping pole don't want to have to buy another pole if I don't have to.
Matt F.

That should work fine.
The main reason to go with a rope/pulley or winch and cable/pulley setup, is it is far easier to raise and lower the housing, as opposed to a telescoping pole setup.
If you go with a styrofoam house, at least it's quite lightweight, which will make it more telescoping pole friendly.