Wing Entrapment Survey from PMCA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Forum Admin
Site Admin

Wing Entrapment Survey from PMCA

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am

To help us have a better understanding of wing entrapment and how it occurs we're asking for your help. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey concerning wing entrapment here; http://bit.ly/wingentrapment We're interested in hearing from all landlords, whether they have or have not experienced wing entrapment. As always, if you have any questions please give us a call at 814-833-7656.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Re: Wing Entrapment Survey from PMCA

Postby -=DKC=- » Fri May 10, 2019 9:26 am

I completed the questionnaire.

It occurs to me that it might be informative to add a couple of additional questions, both for those who have and have not had an instance of wing-entrapment.

* What housing type do you use? (eg. Natural gourd, S&K Bo11 with tunnel, PMCA Excluder Gourd with porch, Trendsetter 8, etc.)

* What entrance type do you use (eg. round, crescent, Excluder !!, Clinger, etc.)

* What built-in or add-on wing-entrapment features do you use (if any)?

Those who have never had an instance of wing-entrapment may be doing something differently than those who have but you don't really collect any specific data from them. But possibly I misunderstood exactly what questions you want to answer with the survey.

-=DKC=-
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Ron Prichard

Postby Ron Prichard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 pm

I have a Trendsetter 18 which I have used for the past 12 years or more. There is one compartment that I have constantly had trouble with wing entrapment. It is a compartment in which the PM will enter and turn right to enter the nest. I cannot tell you how many females I have lost trying to enter the compartment. Of course to leave the compartment, she must leave the nest and turn left to leave. I closed this particular compartment up for several years but I made the mistake of opening it up again for the 2019 season. Bad mistake. Another wing entrapment! I closed it again and will never use this compartment again. I might add that the Trendsetter that I use, utilizes a wood tray that sits on the floor of the compartment. I will keep this compartment forever closed. It is sort of strange since this type of compartment has the same type of entrance on 4 corners. For some reason this one compartment has always been a problem.

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 am

I never have had wing entrapment. A simple way to stop wing entrapment is to make the entrance thicker (3/4in to 1in (the wider the better). I do that by adding and using sideboards. It is my opinion that the real narrow entrances are the worst kind of entrance
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”