Hello all. New member. Here are the houses I made.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fuzzmeister

So that’s why I don’t have any martins at my place yet You are south of me right!!!😃
i_carumba

Yes I am trying to make the backyard so nice for the Martins that they won't leave even if they were just planning on staying the night!
All your Martins are belong to me :grin:
Fuzzmeister

How am I supposed to make a living without rent money, iam going to have to apply for welfare now that I don’t have any renters, my house hasn’t seen a purple Martin yet this year!! I don’t know what’s going on, the scout map shows they are all the way up in northern Alberta, I may have to sell my houses this year! Did you report your martins on the scout report?
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:33 pm
How am I supposed to make a living without rent money, iam going to have to apply for welfare now that I don’t have any renters, my house hasn’t seen a purple Martin yet this year!! I don’t know what’s going on, the scout map shows they are all the way up in northern Alberta, I may have to sell my houses this year! Did you report your martins on the scout report?
Easy Buddy, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a martin colony,lol.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
Fuzzmeister

Archer
Just trying to have some fun, I know there is lots of time and those who have colony’s for 10 years will always have there early birds come home first. Every year is different when you look at the stats on the scout report, I didn’t get any martins till the 27 of April last year so all I can say is the longer it takes to get them here means they will leave later😋
i_carumba

Fuzzmeister, you will be happy to know that 3 of the 4 Martins that were here overnight left today. I think they were heading your way.
I did not do a scout report.
Fuzzmeister

I carumba
I’m going to go to bed now I’ve waited till now for them to show up and there not here, I think there still at your place LOL. I will let you know when they get here. 🤓
Archer

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Archer
Just trying to have some fun, I know there is lots of time and those who have colony’s for 10 years will always have there early birds come home first. Every year is different when you look at the stats on the scout report, I didn’t get any martins till the 27 of April last year so all I can say is the longer it takes to get them here means they will leave later😋
That's a good theory Fuzz, stick with that :lol: I had a second arrival yesterday afternoon, she was wearing silver and purple bands, and seemed attached to cavity #25, most likely one of the birds that was banded here last summer.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
Fuzzmeister

Archer
Good for you! I have only had martins for one year but that is one of my goals to get some banded some day and watch and wait for one to come back, that is amazing for them to pin point exact locations, I just hope my birds never got hit by a 747 passenger jet. Good luck in the days to come.
Archer

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 am
Archer
Good for you! I have only had martins for one year but that is one of my goals to get some banded some day and watch and wait for one to come back, that is amazing for them to pin point exact locations, I just hope my birds never got hit by a 747 passenger jet. Good luck in the days to come.
I hope so too Fuzz, that made me laugh.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
i_carumba

UPDATE: Houses have been up for just over a week. One lonely male has stuck around since day one but there have been no single females for him to chirp at. Three asy male/female pairs stayed a night or two but moved on. Today there is a lot of action with about 5 asy males and 3 females. Got cold weather and snow coming tonight so hope they do ok. Makes me wonder why they leave the warm southern USA and come so far north. Have dispatched 2 sparrows with trap and 2 with pellet gun.
i_carumba

It stormed here bad all day Sunday. Got about 10" of blowing snow. -10 degrees C. The Martins disappeared for about 24 hours. I opened the houses to clean the snow out of the compartments and check for any dead birds. There were none. As I was cleaning out the snow several Martins showed up and then made themselves at home, which was nice to see. Fortunately it is a sunny day and the snow is melting fast so hopefully they don't go hungry for long.
Attachments
April 29, 2019.jpg
April 29, 2019.jpg (371.07 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
Fuzzmeister

I carumba
If your worried about them not eating send them my way I promise to feed them as long as they stay at my place LOL.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

It looks like the boards are 3/4in thick, which should make them very starling resistant (if they are 1-3/16in tall) and very resistant to wing entrapment. Many years ago, I had a house with such entrances and the martins had a hard time entering and the sparrows loved them, so I gave the house to a friend.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
i_carumba

Fuzzmeister, I am waiting for a report on the quality of your accommodations from the 3 martins I sent your way a week ago before I send more. I have a reputation to uphold!

Emil you are correct it is all 3/4" The holes are 3" wide by 1 3/16" tall (exactly) I radiused both sides of the opening with a router and sanded well so they are easy to pass through. The Martins I have observed have been getting through them with no difficulty. I have never seen a Starling in this area so they may not be needed but better safe than sorry.
Fuzzmeister

I carumba
They said that your entry holes were to hard to get in and out, and your rooms were to big they couldn’t get close enough to cuddle and keep warm in that cold weather, so that’s why they left LOL! 🤩 how’s it going other wise how many martins do you have up till now?
i_carumba

Just read this review on TripAdvisor:

"After a long trip we stayed a night at I-Carumba's Inn. What a great place! Clean, modern and roomy. No annoying Sparrows to contend with. Highly Recommended!! However, we continued our journey north and then tried out Fuzzmeister's B&B. Well there was no bed and there was no breakfast. False advertising! Rooms were cramped, old and dingy. Stay Away!! I think we will fly back south and spend the summer at I-Carumba's place. It was a paradise compared to this dump!" Signed: Mark and Mary Martin.
i_carumba

Fuzzmeister, we seem to have a single male who showed up day one and perhaps two pairs staying here so far. No nesting activity yet. Probably as it is cold and not much to eat. It is hard to be sure how many permanent birds we have as they tend to disappear all day. Sometimes there are none here, sometimes 8. Have your birds showed up?
Fuzzmeister

I-carumba
Good to hear that you have some still hanging around! I have 3 pairs that have been here for about 6 days now. I put up my t-14 house the other day and they fly back and forth from one house to the other but they end up spending the night in my original house from last year so I’m thinking they are some of the birds I had last year and just in case you happen to run out of room you know I have a lot of room left! I will be patiently waiting for those subbies that will be here soon. Let me know if you get some SY birds. Cheers
Fuzzmeister

I-carumba
They won’t start nesting till at least the end of the month the trees will have to leaf out and that won’t be till then depending if it warms up soon!