Migration for last week of March - Big Days ahead

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Migration for last week of March - Big Days ahead

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am

I thought I would put together a report for the final week of March 2018. For the up coming week we have some very different conditions from east to west. About the time the west warms the east turns cold and visa versa. Here is a look at this week and what to expect. There are some real big migration days in the northeast later in the week.

Monday - Gulf winds are light and variable but ok for migration. Temperatures in general are warm in the south but cool in the north. The Carolinas however enjoy some warmer temperatures. Texas winds are generally from the north but mild temperatures. Not an overall great day here.

Tuesday - The Gulf turns negative for crossing but a good push from Texas up to the upper Midwest should move birds north into some soggy mild areas. The northeast stays under cool north winds with little movement there. Not a big day unless you are west.

Wednesday - This is the big day of change as winds turn across the Gulf into Texas and a warm flow begins out west. The upper Midwest gets some strong south winds as birds head north. The Ohio valley begins a nice warm up with south winds and moderating temperatures. The east coast however remains cool under north winds.

Thursday - This is what we have been waiting for! Strong flow across the Gulf brings in large influxes to the south and warm tropical air. Texas heats up as does Kansas Oklahoma Missouri and Illinois. Strong moderation of temperatures and good migration north all the way up in the Northeast. This is better!

Friday - The south comes to life with very warm temperatures. However the poor upper Midwest turns cold once again. A trough sets up from Kansas to New York and to the east of this strong south winds really blow them in. Great migration day for the eastern part of the country.

Saturday - The Gulf looks to remain excellent as more birds pour into the south. Although a strong trough runs clear from Houston to Detroit. West of this cold north winds. Ahead of this is a classic migration pattern! Warm temperatures get all the way to New York & New England. The east coast get it's first taste of tropical air while the Midwest returns to winter.

Sunday - The party ends as the front moves off the east coast. However the upper Midwest begins to improve. By this time many new scouts have been reported all the way up to the Great Lakes.

So this pattern continues. But spring will be finding it's way to many of us. So will the first Martins of the season.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Re: Migration for last week of March - Big Days ahead

Postby ToyinPA » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for the report Doug. Sure looks good for Martins to flood in to PA by the end of the week. Eyes to the sky :).

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 pm

In one word.......”OUTSTANDING”!!!!! Ur hired !😃

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Here in Corpus Christi we have a big wave of Purple Martins this evening.

Around 5pm I started seeing hundreds of PMs kettling up high and also hunting at treetop level. Hundreds as far as the eye can see in every direction. A friend that lives about 5 miles from me says he has them as well.

Most PMs I've ever seen besides at a Fall roost.

Sunset tonight should be interesting.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

betaflame

Postby betaflame » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Here in Corpus Christi we have a big wave of Purple Martins this evening.

Around 5pm I started seeing hundreds of PMs kettling up high and also hunting at treetop level. Hundreds as far as the eye can see in every direction. A friend that lives about 5 miles from me says he has them as well.

Most PMs I've ever seen besides at a Fall roost.

Sunset tonight should be interesting.
Welp. I'm in austin, I just turned up dawnsong and set it for 24/7 (I had it doing dawnsong at 4am->daytime at 9am->off at 10pm). If that was 2 hours ago, sounds like they'll reach me in a few hours then.

First timer, so hopefully have some luck.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Good stuff Doug. I visualize you standing in front of a green screen. You are using a pointer stick to show on the map the strategy of The Purple Army to advance North on multiple fronts to populate all areas from South to North.
Jeff

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:39 am

Welp. I'm in austin, I just turned up dawnsong and set it for 24/7 (I had it doing dawnsong at 4am->daytime at 9am->off at 10pm). If that was 2 hours ago, sounds like they'll reach me in a few hours then.

First timer, so hopefully have some luck.
Good luck with your colony. Hope you get birds this year. :grin:
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

I've been watching already - just incase some have slipped by and haven't been noticed - but so far nothing. Looks like it's going to get more exciting these next few days so I'm going to put out the Dawn song and maybe I'll get lucky.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for the report, Doug!
Billie from southern Wisonsin

PMS in Virginia

Postby PMS in Virginia » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 pm

As your report states Thursday is the day.....right on key, the first sightings here in southern central Virginia

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:04 am

They are dropping from the sky here in PA today.

There will be some tired soldiers straggling in after this cold front sweeps through. So keep an eye out even in the cold on Sunday.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

Chris B

Postby Chris B » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 pm

ASYs have been increasing in number the last two days as the bugs are coming in. I still think this year has been slow to fill so far but the season is young and the teenagers aren't here yet.

Still no barnies for some reason. Not even evening guests or mower-chasers.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”