Hawk

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
deancamp

Re: Hawk

Postby deancamp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:16 pm

In previous years I would find my decoys on the ground some distance from where I had them setting, so I know a hawk or owl had hit them. Someone on this forum was talking about mounting the decoy on a spring. I got a short spring at the locol hardware store and turned the spring up into the bottom of the decoy and then attached the other end of the spring onto my Martin perch (tv antenna). I have since seen a hawk hit it and it springs right back into position. If I didn't explain well I can try and add pictures if anyone is interested.

Jeff

brent

Postby brent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm interested. Please add pictures. Thanks.

Brent

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:37 pm

I thought i could just attach a picture from my phone gallery, but it does not show up when I preview my reply. Any ideas what I need to do?

Jeff

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 pm

downsize decoy.jpg
downsize decoy.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Well, I think it's on there, but it got turned side ways somehow.
Jeff

brent

Postby brent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm

We’ve had two decoys knocked over. Didn’t see it happen. They were on nice and tight so we don’t know if it was a hawk or owl. They do seem to work.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Guess my guard dogs are protecting my decoy. :lol:
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Fireflyfisherman
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 1 Pair (5 Fledged)
2015 - 1 Pair (3 Fledged)

Postby Fireflyfisherman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:17 pm

It’s that time of year. Hawks are returning and raising a ruckus. The martins are piling in too which attracts them like a magnet. Today I witnessed an attack and that dirty hawk hit my decoy. Had to go set it up again. That is 2 times I’ve had to set it up in the last week. Time to add the others up around the yard and move it around a little. The spring idea is brilliant. What do y’all attach your decoys to? Poles? Fence?

Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and protecting Martin's for going on 30 years now.

Postby Rodger Drye » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I’ve thought about installing decoys, but I’ve never had a Hawk or Owl attack, that I know of. So I’m afraid if I put up decoys and the predator birds see them and respond by attacking, I may be encouraging or adding to a problem that originally I don’t have or need. My main problem is Starlings and Sparrows which I can keep under control with traps.
If I were to ever confirm an Owl or Hawk attack I may try the decoys.! If so looks like the spring loaded idea would work great.!
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 28 years.

deancamp

Postby deancamp » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Mine are on an old style tv antenna that I have put up by my housing for Martin perches. I have thought about mounting some on the top of a 10' to 12' 2x4 stood on end. Then I
could fasten the 2x4 to a near by fence. I could then go out and move them up and down the fence line to change it up a little bit. This would also get the attack decoys further from my colony.
Jeff

daveh

Postby daveh » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm

I use 10 feet long 1 inch id pvc pipe and install decoy on one end. The other end goes in a little larger pvc pipe placed in the ground around the colony. I have four decoys, probably should have more but they work well especially if they are swaying a little in the wind. I never liked them on my houses. That's to close to the real birds and every time a hawk hit them either they were knocked off the house or turned upside down. Now you have to lower the house and reinstall. I may have to reinstall 3-4 times a day. To much work. The pvc sticks are so much better and easier to maintain.

Dave
PMCA member

brent

Postby brent » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I use two bamboo poles attached to a large tomato stake. I drive the stake into the ground and the bamboo (which I took from a bamboo patch) is flexible allowing the decoys to sway in the wind. My decoys have been hit several times this year but I have to say the hawk also perched on a porch perch and tried to get one of the birds. Another time he sat on the roof of one of the house. Both times I went out yelling and clapping my hands and scared the hell out of him. :grin:

Brent

Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and protecting Martin's for going on 30 years now.

Postby Rodger Drye » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Brent, Good for you my man.! :lol:
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 28 years.

daveh

Postby daveh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am

Brent, I use heavy duty galvanized wire and install vertical on every perching station on top of each house. They are about 8-10 inches long and spread out across the perches to keep hawks and owls from landing. At least it's more difficult for a larger bird to land. The martins can still use the perches. They land between the wires.

Dave
PMCA member

MorganW_AL

Postby MorganW_AL » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm

I've dealt with hawks over the last several years, but have never seen a successful attack on my PM to this point. They have tried, for certain, but have failed thus far. However, their continued presence just makes life more difficult for all involved. I've used decoys to an extent, and will step up their use this year.
By far the best defense I've seen against hawk attacks is the presence of other birds in large numbers. Developing and maintaining a site conducive for a large variety of birds is vital. At times some of what is required to attract other birds contradicts traditional PM wisdom, but it is a trade off. More birds present in an area equals more eyes on the sky. It continues to amaze me how birds, and all small animals, routinely work together against predators. Pay attention to all the birds at your site, and they will let you know if/when a hawk or other bird of prey is near. Oddly enough, the only good use for a useless starling I have ever seen is as a hawk alarm. Those trash birds are smart, and very nervous birds. So, if we can't realistically catch and kill them all, let's use them to our advantage.
Also, flocks of smaller birds such as finches are great at sounding the alarm. So, long story short, the more birds you can get around your site, the better the alarm system will be.

ltwalsh
Martin Colony History: 2017 1 pair, 5 eggs non hatched
2018 1 pair 3 fledged

Postby ltwalsh » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 am

Like others have said, I have found that Decoys have helped my Martin escape many hawk attacks. I watched one day as a hawk slammed into the house and grabbed one of my decoys as all the other birds escaped. I enjoyed watching this hawk take this plastic decoy down to the ground an hover other it like it was real only to find out he had a chunk of plastic. :evil:

To me decoys are the answer.
2009 = 1 pair 4 fledged
2010 = 1 pair and 5 fledged
2011= 3 pair and 13 fledged
2012 = 4 pair and 12 fledged
2013 = 7 pair and 21 fledged
2014 = 9 pair and 34 fledged
2015 = 9 Pair and 30 fledged

KaraInTexas
Martin Colony History: 2019 - April 6, looks like 4 mating pair starting to nest.

2018 - Three mating pair. 12 babies, all fledged. Found one adult female dead in house. Cause of death - unable to ascertain. Very sad day.

2017 - First mating pair in Heath house. May 3-5: 5 eggs laid. June 1-3: all hatched. July 3: all 5 fledged.
Approximately 20 adult martins here for the fledge party.

July 1: Installed 4 gourds as well as the 3 houses. The Martins love them!

2016 - Many martins, no nests or eggs. Too many HOSP.
I have a 12 compartment Heath house I converted to a 4 compartment house to allow the Martins more room and hopefully evade owls. I have put in a second house, the S&K 12 compartment one which I converted to 6 compartments. My neighbor also has the same S&K house I converted to a 6 compartment house.
I have eight or more Martins that visit daily.

Postby KaraInTexas » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:53 pm

So sorry you had to see that. Makes my heart hurt.
May the Martins be with you. :grin:

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”