Hawk

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
rrmartins

Hawk

Postby rrmartins » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

:twisted: :evil:
Just lost a ASY male, right at dark to a hawk. What a horrible ending to a great day. My dogs and I had just came inside. Happened to look back out window and frickin hawk got him off the top of the house. I’ve already ordered a decoy. :evil: :evil: :evil:
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Re: Hawk

Postby PMDavid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Really sorry to hear that r.r. I feel for ya. I hope that doesn’t happen again,good with it.

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

So sorry to hear about the hawk attack , I like to use dove decoys I have them on a cable wire near the martin rack it helps to distract the hawks hopefully giving your martins enough time to escape , but unfortunately even that sometimes won’t help , be sure your colony has as many open flyways as possible to give your martins time to flee an attack .
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
38 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged

clivia98

Postby clivia98 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi rrmartins,

I had 4 attacks today alone. I have either a sharp shinned or coopers hawk in the neighborhood or both. I did put up, on a separate pole made of bamboo, 3 decoys. So far he has attacked the decoys several times giving the martins a chance to escape. The martins will protect themselves, too, by alerting all in the colony and then they all fly off, almost erratically but with reason, to escape the hawk attack. So far, I have witnessed the hawk attack the decoys several times and the times I saw him attack the martins he has missed his mark. I am hoping that he will wonder off soon and leave my birds alone. I started my spring garden today right under my martin houses. I will be out there tomorrow, early. I also have a scare crow but I don't know how effective it's been. Good luck my friend. I know the feeling.

Brent

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:59 am

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the kind words. This is my tenth year as a landlord, and the first time I have seen this happen. I’m sure it’s happened many times in the past, this is just the first time I witnessed it. My house is usually 17ft up, but I had lowered it due to storms moving through this early A.M. Hopefully the decoy will help. Wish they would eat the dead sparrows I kill every other day, unfortunately they are hunters, not scavengers. Hope everyone has a good day!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am

In my area, Sutherlands and Lowes carry decoys.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am

I’ll have one here tomorrow. Our storms have passed and the house is back up to 17ft. I’m in a very open area, so the martins have 360 degree flyaways onto the house. That’s what’s bad about having it halfway down, the martons have to sweep down before they can fly upwards. My Pitt bull and Doberman, and myself will be on high alert until dark today, so hopefully all is well. Thank you everyone for the great advice.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am

RR, so sorry to hear that. We have a tenacious hawk that knows exactly the best place to hide before he tries to get one of our martins. I’ve only seen him get one but I’m sure he has others. It’s a horrible thing to watch, I know. You feel so helpless because there is nothing you can do other than chase them off if you see one. Two days ago one was actually sitting on the shadecloth on one of our poles looking down at the entrances of the gourds ready to pick one off. Fortunately they were either inside or gone. Went outside clapping hands and he left. We have since ordered an air horn for louder noise. We already had decoys on the other pole but he must have known they weren’t real.
Some will migrate soon but unfortunately there are others that seem to hang around all season.

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2018, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:26 am

Losing a martin to a predator is the part of being a landlord that always is hard to accept. I know it is part of nature, but it still hurts. I feel for you and try to keep in mind that all the good work you have done over the years is helping martins out in general.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding last season during late march and had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Postby mwren » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am

rrmartins,

It certainly is a difficult thing to watch when one of our martins is chased down by an "F-16 fighter jet" of a bird! I have a "love-hate relationship" with our raptors that makes it hard to "love" them when all hell breaks loose at my colony. I got discouraged three seasons ago when my colony was filled up and making lots of noise, and attracting hawks and owls from all over the county. I decided to slow down colony growth, and have been helping some friends get their own colonies going, and also branching out and installing some public accessible houses for others to enjoy at other locations. This spring I decided to go ahead and add another T-14 so I wouldnt have to turn away birds who were searching for housing. I have ramped up my use of decoys to try to distract the accipiters, and I also move my "decoy spread" frequently to try to confuse Darth Vader and his followers! I also have hawk and owl guards that attempt to block the entrance way to my nests. They may help somewhat, but there is just not much you can do about the high speed aerial attacks other than to make sure you have as much room as possible for excape routes and opportunities to reach speed quickly.
I liked your comment about you wishing the hawks would eat the dead sparrows you can provide them. I actually have Coopers hawk, and Sharp Shinned hawk who have learned to check the hillside near my large feeder-bird stations under my decks. Starling and sparrow control is a year long project around here, and final resting place for those species is on the grassy hillside. They are placed on the hill side and the hawks have figured out how to take advantage of free meals! If I put a starling on the hill, he is usually "picked up" within an hour or two. Sometimes a crow will beat the hawks to the hand-outs if they don't get to the drive-thru in time. Really amazing how smart these birds are, and how quickly they can adapt.
Having your garden below the colony should help spook the hawks if you are out there quite a lot, but it won't stop them completely. Darth Vader has mounted a full speed attack through my colony while I was down below flipping meal worms!
I also do my best to execute my nest checks as quickly as I can to limit the martin's exposure , and to shorten the time the martins are watching me as I check nests.
Good luck to you and your colony!
"Bird"
Mike "Bird" Wren

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Hey R.R was thinking about you. There is a way to make a hawk trap that won’t hurt the hawk and he could then maybe be relocated. I actually saw this somewhere years ago. Here goes..... cut a 2’x2’ square of plywood...make a 6” quarter inch hardware cloth little dome with a bottom also cut a little door about hamster size that you can fold back shut and staple it down in the middle of the board. Insert hamster,close the door. Cover with monofilament netting ,about a three foot square peice. Just lay it over it spread out . Place it out when the hawk is spotted hangin around and back off outa sight. He’ll pounce on hamster and his claws should become entangled in the netting. Go over and chunk a blanket over him ,gather him up and take him for a ride,a long ride. O

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:13 pm

It's not legal, and would probably not be effective. Hawks know how to find their way home just like martins do. Using decoys, feeding stations, and other methods can help.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:41 pm

I’m going to try the decoys and move them around a little every now and then. My martin numbers are exploding, I’ve already got my whole T14 open. Box trap and Blaine’s repeater are catching sparrows very well. So far all males to. I like to twist their neck and do a 80 mph fast ball into my sound wall. :twisted:
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Well the hawk just showed back up for his afternoon meal. Hate that stupid bird!!! Martins are swarming him, trying to chase him off.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

If I remember correctly from other southern landlords the sharp shinned and coopers hawks migrate further north so hopefully you wont have to deal with him or too long. I used to never put out bird feeders because I didn't want to attract hawks. I think once my colony gets much bigger I might start putting feeders back out again. The PM's are going to attract them anyway and t he more eyes that are in the area the better chance they have of spotting the hawk.

I noticed last year that the kill dear on my property were the best alarms. Many times I would hear them sound the alarm and the martins would head to the sky. Sure enough if I looked hard enough I would spot a hawk somewhere in the area. Often times it would be several hundred yards away when the kill dear would blow it's cover.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

jhcox

Postby jhcox » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Hey guys it is illegal to catch or transport birds of prey. It’s actually a federal offense. But you can detour the by use bottle rockets if you catch one perched near by ready to stick. Don’t try to hit just shot the bottle rockets near by and the explosions should teach them that the area is not a safe place to hunt. JHCox Heiskell TN

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm

How about using a pellet gun but not with the intention to shoot a hawk, but far enough away from him just to scare him away? Is that legal? I don’t want to get into trouble and I definitely don’t want to kill one. I couldn’t in all good conscience. They are beautiful but I love my martins more. To think they have traveled so many miles and made it all the way home to get eaten by a predator is extremely sad.

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 am

Losing a martin to a predator is the part of being a landlord that always is hard to accept. I know it is part of nature, but it still hurts. I feel for you and try to keep in mind that all the good work you have done over the years is helping martins out in general.
It is always hard to lose a Martin when they are 1st arriving in the Spring. Walking around your Colony until dusk with a bright colored shirt will spare a lot of your Martins from that fate.

I think you will notice over time that an individual Cooper's Hawk will return with in 5 minutes each day at the same time. It is the only weakness about them that I have observed.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:26 am

Good morning everyone. He didn’t get anybody at my place yesterday evening. Waiting to see if he shows up this morning. Hope everyone has a great day!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

pmlover

Postby pmlover » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:48 am

i would like to have a dollar for every time ive or my wife has run out there with a yelow bright jacket on yelling waving our hANDS in the air(they hate bright yellow) two crazy old people 73 and 77
2015 69 pairs 418 eggs 396 fledged
2019 I have 148 openings now
2016 100 pairs 600 babies fledged added another t-14 and have 126 openings now
2015 Jun 24 360 babies and 58 eggs also found one that had died
2017 632 babies 11died and 20 were killed by hawks
2015 74 pairs and 9 eggs 5/14
2010 3pairss
]JOINED PMCA JUNE 6,2018
2018 651 babies 5 hawk kills 11 floater kills 25 died in houses and 610 fledged

2014 80 pairs 283 babies 282 fledged one died

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”