Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Well I’ve been waiting and watching and ther ar birds all over central la. I’ve been watching the neighbors three birds now for about a week. He’s had a pair and an extra male..... so this evening I go out like every evening to watch their evening return and watch em fly around for a bit before they dive to their houses (at his house,not mine)sounds envious huh? And all of a sudden I notice that ther is four martins today not three! And then...a male comes soaring thru doing his cackling and chattering and takes off to the others and then returns Female in tow and they begin to land here and there checking it out and choose a gourd hangin off of a trio house and go in together! Then ...they jump out and go to a gourd rack and land and check that out. The male went in one and the female went back over to the original one they were in,and the male went back over there also and they stayed. I sat ther until well after black dark and they were still in. So maybe I have a start! So... do I have to tell ya IM SO EXCITED I COULD CLIMB OUTA MY SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by PMDavid on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site

Re: Louisiana-maybe a first pair

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:29 pm

PMDavid...... Good luck... will be waiting to hear how things are going....

Dave
Home Site
2019 — First pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged :wink:
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2019 -- 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged :wink:
2018 — 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:

PMCA Member

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Sounds like you’re on your way. Good luck!!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I’m going bass fishin in the morning so I won’t be around for mid morning return meet and greet session,but you can bet I’ll be lookin and watching from mid evening till dark thirty! Hoping for the best,maybe this will be my start.

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - ?

Postby Whippy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 pm

PMDavid,

That's exactly how my first pair acted. Then my 2nd pair did the same thing the following year.

Best of luck to you.

Coolwhips.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Well their back..... and there is the neighbors three males also. They all five are soaring the yard and landing on my big perch I have. At dark though will tell the tell. We’ll see if the pair stays again....up date after dark.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks everyone.... and mr. flam too! I’ve been reading all your posts and I find you quite a knowledgeable as well as a colorful guy! Your outlook and attitude strike me as outstanding! So here’s the run down. There is the one female she seems to have chosen a male, and three more tryin to court her. The pair stayed last night. And we saw them emerge this morning stretch ,preen a bit and take off. So all afternoon long you could watch all five soaring around together. Then proballly eight or ten different times they would all five come and land on my nice large perch I have made above the gourd rack,stay a while then tear out again for a while,then return and so on . So not wanting to miss anything I took my dinner outside and sat waiting and watching and for a while it seemed they had all gone to bed three houses down,but right at dark her comes the two and made a pass or two and then landed on the 16 hole Coates above the gourd they stayed in last night. They took to a top floor apartment and went to bed. Why you would jump in a 6x6 instead of a nice big natural gourd is beyond me but oh well ,I’m just tickled they returned and stayed. I have 22 natural gourds and 40 apartments all prenested with pine needles and some also lined with cypress leaves in the bowl of needles. I have yet to approach them so as not to spook em,but they have all seen us going in and out of the door to sit on the porch maybe 50 ft away and it didn’t bother them at all. As long as these other males don’t steal her away I may have an actual first pair and a possible start. Will be posting in the evenings as to their daily return for those who ar following. Suba dults should be coming soon and I may well get more. Thanks er body😁

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Ok guys ,they came home again!! Came about an hour before dark and soared the immediate area with the neighbors birds but kept hangin over their “own” area . Then right about dark they made a few mock dives at the houses and then zipped right in. You guys makin those t-14houses do some neat work I may consider trying one of those they’re really neat looking! I wanna thank everyone for their support since last year and this one,it has made some of my decisions much easier at times. Y’all have all discussed poles ,houses,gourds,tips and techniques with and I thank you. And thanks for all the good luck wishes,I really enjoy hearing from all of you and look forward to some lasting relationships through the forum and the martins. With a bit of luck I may well be off to a start! Thanks to you all, David👍

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Sounds very promising. Spending the night is a big key. I alsways notice the first martins I get back spend a lot of time away during the day but as the weeks go on they spend more and more time at their house and begin nest building. If they stick around be ready, an ASY pair can draw a crowd when the SY's start showing up. If this pair stays I bet you will have 5 pair or more by the summer. I fell in love with the T14 first time a saw one. I started with a cheap house initially just to make sure I could even get visitors. I was young and dumb when I started and had never even seen a purple martin before so I didn't want to dive in too soon.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey flyin Lowe, I’m believing they are gonna stay . They seem to have “home based “ their sky area above and separate themselves from the others three houses down at coming home time in the evening. And if they wanna draw a crowd of new ones,great! I’ve got 62 offerings for em. Ya what’s crazy.... if you recall me posting about the one SY male last year,I called him the nut. He would stay with all the others from the neighbors all day then dive down with em in the evening at dark to their houses and then he’d wait till pitch black dark and come haulin butt about ten feet off the ground from three yards away and dive into his gourd! This year I firmly believe it’s the same male only now he’s an ASY and when he came with a mate guess where he went??????? Into the same exact gourd he stayed in last year,it’s almost got to be him wouldn’t you say? I’m stoked... update tomorrow at dark,crossing my fingers.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Well so far so good!!!! There has either been a couple more birds show up in the area or late visitors. I counted 10 martins at one point this evening. My neighbor said they weren’t all here yet. My pair did their usual thing ,came soared in their area for about an hour then at dark zipped into their house. You can watch what all goes on in the sky with them all and tell they are keeping themselves sorta separated from the rest and together. Oh they all fly around together,but when it comes down to we’re all going this or that way they peel off together and soar over their own yard while the others go off down to theirs. I think they are here to stay!

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

My first colony started in the same way. I had an SY male claims cavity and spend all summer in it but never got a female to stay. The following spring he returned to the same cavity and found a female. Then when the SY's arrived I ended up with 4 additional pair, the next year 12, and the next year 30. Then I moved, in the south there is no reason you wouldn't grow that quick, likely quicker. That first year I was nervous until I saw that first egg. Then I believed that they were there for good.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I took my binoculars and attempted to see if I could tell if the extras I saw today looked to be sy or asy birds but they were across the way and all swirling and mixin up and was impossible. There was a third one today that spent a considerable time soaring with my pair,but he did ended up down the way. It didn’t appear that he was courting the female and he kinda kept his distance. But,he may be contemplating changing addresses! Who knows. This being my first birds ,yeah I’ll be like you ,nervous till I see the proof in the puddin. Without doubt,I’ll be out every single afternoon watching to see what happens. When I ever catch em bringing in leaves I’ll calm down,maybe. Update tomorrow after dark. Have a good night.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:10 pm

There have been no SY reports yet that I have seen so I would say they are ASY. Typically when the first SY's arrive there is some excitement on the forum.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 pm

PMDavid it looks to me like this is gonna be your year I do believe the PMs have have picked your place to raise their kids .
Robert , South Carolina
PMCA member
38 year PM landlord
2018 season
21 pairs 107 eggs 99 fledged

brent

Postby brent » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:59 pm

I've had martins since the end of January. I put up a second house this year and both seem full already. I am thrilled to hear of your developing colony. I'm still excited with my arrivals. Good luck and keep us posted!!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am

Flying Lowe ,I’m sure gonna keep checking the reports and all these posts to be watchful for the sy’s. And I’m gonna have to agree with ya Robert....those birds have shown all signs of “we’re here to stay” I really am thankful. Brent.....I’ve been keepin up with you down in raceland since way back when you first posted about ur first birds back. You scored man,full the first year,added on and full again! WOW! You would be the guy south of me to help gimme the heads up on the sub adults starting to show. At work gotta go,y’all have a great day!

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 am

Well you know how it goes.....right when you brag on your children about “how good they are” they act up and make a liar out of you. My ASY pair of birds that I was so sure were there to stay went home with the neighbors birds last night. How depressing.!! I’m really disappointed.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 am

Sitting out Thursday afternoon watching noticed an absence of my one pair . They usually glide their yard area overhead. Then as dark approached...no birds. I could only surmise that roosted down at the neighbors house. Their 6-8 birds are always over and trying to attract my pair to join them . So then on Friday afternoon I noticed only the male circling above extra high and calling a lot ,no female in sight. This went on and on until finally it was dark and after two or three mock dives through the housing the male finally ducked in his house. I guess the neighbors birds enticed the female away. They are colinal nesters so I guess maybe she wanted to be around more birds instead of down here with only one other bird. Maybe she’ll choose to return or he may find another,it’s a bit disappointing when I was so sure I had a locked in pair. I really think the sub adult SY’s have come and gone on, the middle to end of March here this south seems a bit late for for birds to be still arriving,but I could be wrong. The few folks around who do post reports seem to not do much sub adult reporting ,so I don’t have a lot of past reference to look at on years past scout reports. If some of the more experienced landlords here have some insight on all this I’m all ears...

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 am

I know getting started can be frustrated. Also realize martins do some weird stuff when arriving. At my old colony my ASY's would arrive for a day or two then I would not see then for several days, then they would come back and stay for good. Different people observe different behaviors, especially early on. Even if the female was lured away if that male sticks around until the SY's arrive he will attract a mate.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”