Public Sites (City Park)

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Gang,
I am in the process of selling the idea of erecting a site at a public park. I know there are several of you that have taken on this venture, and I am very interested in knowing any of the suggestions you have from the experience you have gained in doing this. I need all the help you can give in making this happen with as few surprises as possible.
thanks,

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

phldave .. Wishing you good luck in your endeavor.. A Martins house out in the public always scares me.. Safety first.. Don’t put one up without a lock and chain on the winch.. Because you never know who will walk up to it and try to lower the house.. I have one on the golf course, but It’s out in the open where everyone can see, and most golfer are not going to stop golfing just to mess with bird houses.. Hope other on here will respond to your question..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Dave,
As you are already aware, Tim Gedler has a public site and I do too. One in Ames and one in Des Moines at Purple Martin Lake, (in the Walnut Woods State Park). As mentioned, safety first and have a lock put on the winch to stop vandals. Set the housing a good distance from any walking path and offer an educational sign describing the martin species. Try to find as many volunteers as possible to help maintain and look after the colony. Don't take on the project all by yourself as it can be a challenge. Talk with those involved in the decision making as far as paper work, codes etc, site location... are concerned. Be relaxed on time schedules for completion of the public colony. Choose a location that meets the needs of the martins. Try to get as many companies and individuals who can offer donations, (materials and money and labor) in getting it set up; such as cement, heavy duty square pole, wood if building a T14. Let these monetary and material donating companies and individuals know that their name can be put on the educational sign for the public to see. Free advertising is a huge draw to get donors on board as they feel they are part of a good thing. Be prepared with your presenting the plan to donors ahead of time.
There is risk from a few bad eggs that will want to vandalize, but the payoff is the educational aspect and awareness about martins to the public as a whole. My public site has well over 500 people per day visit the site and it has been all positive. Also, try to get the local newspaper and even TV media if possible to cover your story on a martin site once it is a 100% go. I suggest visiting other public martin sites to see what may work best for your site; use the ideas and do the research and things should turn out great.
I had my kids at Ames High School Environmental Sciences class build the T14 for the Ames site. There are a few pics of them at work at the Iowa Purple Martin Organization website forum thread titled:
Ames High Environmental Science Building Group
Dave Duit
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
John Miller

If it's a park you enjoy going to, it need not be a chore. Gets me out of the house - ha. Just work closely with the local park to find a good open spot that seems at lower risk of vandalism. Some parks are more prone to vandalism than others. Golf courses probably are less vandal prone, but one has to give a lot of thought to locating the housing out of the path of golf balls. I have some at golf courses that have been fine for years but one aluminum house that I thought was out of the way seems to get a new ding every year, and I don't golf.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Dave /John,
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it from both of you guys. I know you both have experience in the situation. I am confident the park manager and I will agree on something.

thanks again,

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay