DIY winch system?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Kegger
Martin Colony History: a male with some mating calls attracted a female PM in the top of a plastic barn like birdhouse(unkept) on a triangular pole (16 room) last March . Occupied by wrens which kicked them out. I got too many bugs, live on a salt water canal to Charlotte Harbor. started to build a couple 18 room houses for PM about a month ago. Now have 9 cavities up and adding 2 gourds.

Re: DIY winch system?

Postby Kegger » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 am

ImageGFB: I use to trailer a 22 Grady White 7 hrs from Philly area to Hughs Marina a little east of Pultneyville.
Usually 4 trips a year from April thru Nov some 25 years ago. I dreaded a NW wind up there. Made summer turn to winter, too rough to troll.
You never know when you will run into some building or landscape material which you do not need, but need a year later. Free is the best.
Turning a piece of coal into a gem, my favorite thing to do.

sssSMOKING
Martin Colony History: 2019 > 20 nesting pairs, 92 Fledged
2018 > 15 nesting pairs, 39 Fledged
2017 > 12 nesting pairs, 43 Fledged
2016 > 9 nesting pairs, 25 Fledged
2015 > 5 nesting pairs, 23 Fledged
2014 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 Fledged
2013 > 4 nesting pairs, 15 fledged
2012 > Several Lookers

Ground Sleeve

Postby sssSMOKING » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:22 am

This is what I have and has worked well for 5 + years. This is a great way to add a ground sleeve for a round pole. I would highly recommend schedule 80 for your main steel pole if you go this way, they do come in 21 foot sections. Here is the link and path for "Ground Socket".

http://www.chuckspurplemartinpage.com/
Left side of page "Mount a T14 to a round pole"
Go to the bottom of this page and you will see "A Ground Socket"

Chuck has a great read on PM. Thank Chuck for everything you have done for us Martin lovers.
Keep us informed on your final decision.
Best of luck.
Richard
2012 > Several Lookers
2013 - 4 pair, 14 fledged
2014 - 5 pair, 15 Fledged (House Wren Destroyed Eggs, 5th pair)

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”