Get those crickets ordered on time folks.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hey everyone,
This may seem an obvious post for us old timers in the landlord business, but I thought it might save some heartache for the newbies who just started their colonies. Crickets online take some time to reach your place, so it is vital to have your crickets ready for supplement feeding once your martins arrive and if weather is wet and or cold (below 50 degrees). Here in Iowa we have a new cricket connection in Ames, IA; see our website if you are an Iowa member. Lots of companies out there are very willing to sell you crickets for your martins.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Dave Duit wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:13 am
Hey everyone,
This may seem an obvious post for us old timers in the landlord business, but I thought it might save some heartache for the newbies who just started their colonies. Crickets online take some time to reach your place, so it is vital to have your crickets ready for supplement feeding once your martins arrive and if weather is wet and or cold (below 50 degrees). Here in Iowa we have a new cricket connection in Ames, IA; see our website if you are an Iowa member. Lots of companies out there are very willing to sell you crickets for your martins.
Dave,
Do you prefer crickets over mealworms?
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Dave,

Thought I would bump your post back up.

Next week it looks like cold air will push deep into the southern states. It looks like a very cold first week of March for the birds that have come in.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Thanks for the bump Doug. Dave, I prefer crickets because of their larger size and packed full of protein and low fat, which the martin like.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Chris B

Scrambled eggs are easier. I put them in the gourds the scouts have chosen if no bugs are flying
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods. Birds did very well.
2020 56 SREH gourds.