Banging The Gourd.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Elmo

I just got new gourds and they are bigger than my old ones. Two of them are a bit to close and I think they may bang together in high wind. Do you think this could be a problem. If it is I will remove one and go with three or replace with one of my old ones.
Donnie Hurdt MN

There is a product called No Rockers for Gourd Racks that should work for you. I dont see them in the PMCA Market Place Catalog but perhaps you can contact the PMCA and they can contact the manufacture of this product and get them for you. I have several of these No rocker arms and am quite satisfied with them.
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Do not let them bang. I have mine mounted so that they do not move.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Do what you can not to let that happen sounds like you have a few good ideas. Switch them up or buy the arms. I dont even like mine rocking so have pinned them to the arms, slight sway in a stiff wind is all that happens. Its just that its always windy here so i combat it.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.