Wisconsin members

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MY FYN 79

Hi all,

This will be my first year attempting to be a landlord, and I'm getting antsy. :)

Looking at the map, it seems like Wisconsin should start seeing Martins early April. Has that been the case? I have plenty of other ongoing projects, so I'm really excited to reinstall my martin gourd setup... that being one project I actually have finished. :mrgreen:
vman
Martin Colony History: have not had martins for last 20 yrs. trying to re establish a colony
2018 1 asy pair fledged 2

Yes early april would be about right, although if you havn't had martins in the past it will probably be later, what part of wi. are you from? Last year we had an asy pair show up june 5th and begin nesting. Good luck in the coming season, we are near oshkosh 8 below zero tonight, stay warm!!
Jim
Jim
MY FYN 79

We're just across the drink from you in Chilton. Frigid out there today with the wind, but tolerable if you bundle up. The cold doesn't really bother me.

Thanks for the info on the timing. I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can lure in any Martins this year. We get flooded with barn swallows here, so at least someone in the family must think this is a good place to set up shop. :)

Time will tell. Gotta check in with a few buddies and see how opening day of spearing went today. Always quite the holiday around these parts!
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi My FYN 79,
Since this is your first year trying to attract martins, here is info on arrival times. For your area, the older martin known as ASY-after second years will arrive around the beginning of April. The SY -second year martins will arrive about 4 weeks later in your area. ASY martins are already set on their colonies, meaning their site fidelity is strong and unlikely to take up residence at your new location. The younger SY martins are the ones that will start your new colony. Remember to be aware that it can sometimes take a few years to attract your first nesting pair, depending on nearby colonies, landscape, predators in the area and your ability to to everything possible to attract new martins. (Dawn song CD, a little mud smeared around the outside entrances, prenesting material of soft white pine needles in the cavity, decoy martins near the housing, open fly zone around the martin housing, etc... Best of luck my friend.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

MY FYN 79 —- Good luck this year and hope you get a pair to start your colony... Take Dave Duit information seriously.. There is a lot (and I mean a lot) of good information in his post... Copy down everything he said or better yet copy his post.. and Keep it posted where you can reference it all the time.. It is loaded with things that will really help you get your colony started... Good Luck..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — First pair, 5 Eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — They Showed up on March 28 for another year... :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — They showed up on April 24 for another year... :wink:

PMCA Member
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Thanks Dave for your good words.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
BillieJR

Welcome to the group, MY FYN 79! Good luck getting your colony started. i'm hoping to, as well. I'm near the Illinois state line, just south of Madison about 40 miles.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
MY FYN 79

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome everyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can lure in some PMs! :beer: