Takes a Village to Raise a Child...thanks to all

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Takes a Village to Raise a Child...thanks to all

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:25 pm

I have one pair of martins....they had 4 babies, and a sparrow killed one. I had been trying to trap that sparrow for several weeks. Steve K suggested putting feathers in the trap, someone told me martins wouldn't go in the sparrow nest if it was full of nesting material, someone else told me to just make the hole smaller so a martin couldn't get in, someone told me to twist nesting material into a tunnel form, someone else told me to use a glue trap, etc.
so finally put it all together....spread the yard with feathers from my sisters pillow, had a hole in t-14 made smaller, twisted nesting material at the entrance, put in a glue trap way at the back at the end of the tunnel the sparrow made.....and finally....one trapped sparrow after he went for the feathers......yeah....my martins are safe for the day....I can sleep again.
thanks to all that helped these remaining 3 babies. they are 9 days old now.
sharon

John Miller

Postby John Miller » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 pm

Glad we could could help. You've made my evening.

John Miller,
St. Louis, Mo

Mary Wilson-SW Ont

Postby Mary Wilson-SW Ont » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 am

Sharon, good job ...... sleep well.

Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:26 am

Sounds like an excellent way to catch a sparrow. They love feathers. Glad that you caught him
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”