Talk while approaching and lowering racks for nest checks.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

A good landlord practice that can be introduced to your weekly nest check routine is to talk while approaching and lowering your martin housing.
Why ? Because it allows any parents sitting on eggs, not to be startled. Startling a parent sitting on eggs could cause them to abruptly disturb the nest and crack the eggs. Less stress for the colony makes everyone happy. Quickly and carefully for nest checks and changes if necessary.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Dave,
Hopefully in 2019 I'll get to put this into practice, but maybe I will just play a radio, so the neighbors won't think I have totally gone off the deep end.

Happy Holiday's

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Dave,
Sounds like a good plan. I wish you the best in 2019.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Dave ... That does sound like a great idea.. I can do it at my home site.. But if I started talking to the Martins out at my Satilite Site, all the golfers will think I’m nuts.. Most of the time I wait until the golfers close to me have moved on before I approach the houses and lower them..

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
Dave Duit

That is a good idea. I too have a public educational martin colony and usually wait until few people are near to do my nest checks. Although it is an educational site with education signage I have found that it will quickly gather a crowd and I feel it is best to do quick nest checks instead of giving a long presentation while doing checks.