Trendsetter winch and pulley system

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
clivia98

Hi everyone,

I had a very successful year and now planning on the next nesting season. I have an 8 room trendsetter with a 3" pole (and just ordered another one for my growing colony). It has a winch system and pulley. I reviewed the instructions on caring for the martin house. It states that the pulley should be oiled each year for it to operate smoothly. Well that would mean having to lift the pole off of the ground stake which would be difficult for me to do. I suppose with the help of my cousin we could possibly do it but it would be hard for us since we're both seniors with our share of back aches. Does any one have any experience with this? I lowered the house and cleaned it up but did not expect to remove it completely to oil the pulley that is on top of the pole. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, if you have a system like this have you had any problems with the pulley not working smoothly? Can this pully be changed out with one that has ball bearings?

Thanks,

Jerry
Donnie Hurdt MN

Is there any reason why not you or someone younger could use a stepladder to oil the pulley? :?:
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
clivia98

It's 16 feet high. Scares me half to death. It is an option though. Thanks!
daveh

I have the Trendsetter 26 that I put up in 2011. No problems at all. The pully is aluminum and is covered by the roof cover which protects it some from the weather. I leave the system out all year and haven't had any problems. I do occasionally oil the winch and cable,not the brake, during the martin season. If I ever have to take it off the ground stake it will be done by a couple of young guys. I use to be able todo that kind of stuff but not any more. Oh and no I haven't ever oiled the pully.

Dave
PMCA member
TheSmiths
Martin Colony History:

Tried to attract PMs since 2004; began more ernest attempt in 2014.

Current housing consists of two modified Trio M12Ks and a round gourd rack.

2018 — 3 pairs

2019 — 6 pairs

2020 — 12 pairs; barred owl late in season

Monitor FILs colony as well as colony at park.

~15 years of providing housing for bluebirds, Carolina wrens, house wrens, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, great-crested flycatchers and northern flickers.

daveh wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:34 am
I have the Trendsetter 26 that I put up in 2011. No problems at all.
Good to hear, Dave. Our pole is 20' and I'd prefer we not provide our neighbors with another impromptu Abbott-&-Costello performance.
clivia98

Thanks so much for the information. I am relieved to know of your experience. I will not worry. Thanks again, Dave.

Jerry
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

I had to special order a 14 foot step ladder to oil my pulley. I also use it to perform maintenance on my bat house and also for tree trimming. The ladder cost about $450 dollars after tax. It's also very heavy to lug around. It does meet all of my needs since martin pole is 16 feet high and bat house is 17 feet high. I'm not sure how many more years I can physically handle this heavy ladder since I'm already 50. Maybe when I'm older, I can get my son to do it if he ever visits.
Why do Americans only flee blue states? Why don't Americans flee red states?
TheSmiths
Martin Colony History:

Tried to attract PMs since 2004; began more ernest attempt in 2014.

Current housing consists of two modified Trio M12Ks and a round gourd rack.

2018 — 3 pairs

2019 — 6 pairs

2020 — 12 pairs; barred owl late in season

Monitor FILs colony as well as colony at park.

~15 years of providing housing for bluebirds, Carolina wrens, house wrens, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, great-crested flycatchers and northern flickers.

Yes, those ladders are nice but expensive. At one point we considered ordering a very tall podium ladder (so there is something to hold on to at the top). We gave up on our bat box. They must have abundant housing choices around here because they've never shown an interest.