PM Incubation time

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fuzzmeister

Hi I am a first year landlord and I was watching them one evening. The males all seem to be just perched on the outside entrances and I am not seeing any females so I am thinking that they are sitting on the nests incubating. My question is does the female sit on the eggs for the 16 days or does the male take a turn at it every once and a while or can the female leave for a few minutes without any sitting on the eggs?
Dale D
Martin Colony History: Landlord since 2004

Although the Male isn't capable of incubating he will sometimes sit on the eggs while the female feeds, or he may sit on the porch guarding the nest while the female feeds.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 42 Cavities Total
Fuzzmeister

Dale
From observing my house the female will leave for 5 minutes or longer how long can the eggs sit there with her not sitting on them?
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am
Dale
From observing my house the female will leave for 5 minutes or longer how long can the eggs sit there with her not sitting on them?
I've always assumed that the time she can be away from the eggs may depend somewhat on the outside temps. I've observed my females leaving to feed for a time but generally they spend most of their time in the gourds during incubation. I often see them sticking their heads out for a little break. And the very best males will feed the female while she incubates. Too bad all the males aren't as helpful.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.