Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

taxidermy lady wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm
phldave wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 pm
Heavy
The one thing I have learned, they are experts at driving us folks crazy. I don’t think they have been taught, that they shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Too bad they aren’t more willing to accept our hospitality when we have taken the time and effort to offer it. All we want to do is become closer to the nature we are all part of. I’m sure if we are given the chance we will all do our part to care for them as best we all can.
Dave
I feel for you guys! I wanted these birds so bad I just had to let it go and now look, I have a growing colony! The fifth year when I just pretty much said I’m only shooting starlings and sparrows that’s when I got them! I was so tired of doing this and changing that I was just done! So maybe just try that next. Let it go, relax and I bet they show up next Year!
I never prenested, I never played the song, I just shot bad birds! I paid to much for my setup to let trash hatch from it! I pray every chance I get for all the wannabes to get there first pair! I am thinking of all you! Good luck! :)
P.s. it’s good to get well educated before you get a lot of birds! That’s looking at the positive side! :)
Sharon,
Thanks for the prayers and pep talk. The latest thing I have decided to do the remaining days of June, is I am keeping some clusters of small fresh green leaves wedged between the house and a few porches to see if those flapping in the breeze will spark some curiosity. Can't hurt with everything else. You can't say I'm not trying.
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay