SY pair visited today

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Heavy_D
Martin Colony History: 2019 2 pair 9 egss so far
2018 many vistors
2017 SY pair made nest and laid 2 eggs but lost female male moved on

I had an SY pair visiting this evening for several hours! They went in and out of the gourds and the cavities in the house. They left at about 7:30 this evening.

Will SY pairs depart in the evening until they decide to build a nest?

Parkville MO
flyin-lowe

It is not uncommon for SY and ASY martins to leave in the evenings in the beginning. After a while if they are going to stay they will start spending the night. The fact they are going in and out of cavities is a good sign. I have also found that the later in the season the quicker they will start nesting.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

Thank you for the input.
Dan G
Martin Colony History: Trying since 2014. Visitors, but no nests. Several colonies with in 6 mile radius.
2020- An SY male built a nest but could not attract a mate.

That’s definitely a good sign. If they are entering, they are comfortable with their surroundings. I had two circle out housing a few days ago but couldn’t be sure it was a pair. Could have been two SY males.
Bellefonte PA
2014, 1st year-a few lookers, no nests
2015, 'Spot' SY male, here every day from 5-28 to 6-23
2016 added a perch wire between house and gourd rack
offering 22 cavities, T-14 plus 8 gourds
2016, multiple visitors from 6-20 on. Almost daily
2017- Lots of visitors late in season.
2018- Adding another T-14. Few visitors
2019- Hopeful but stopped holding my breath
2020-SY male built a nest.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

If they are just now starting to show interest down in Missouri, hopefully they'll start getting their act together up hear in Iowa too. Sure been dead up here since mid May. Hope I don't have to scratch another year, this is getting beyond depressing.

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
BillieJR

I couldn't agree with you more, Dave! I'm so tired of watching and waiting and I know my time is running out for another season. Good luck to all who are still doing what I'm doing.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

When a female enters a cavity that’s a great sign she feels safe enough at your site! Males are easy to attract but the female is picky! Keep the faith and never give up! If it doesn’t happen this year open things up around your site! Move your poles to a more open area! Keep doing different things until it happens! It took me 5 years to get a pair to stay! Good luck! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

The pair have been around for several days now. I observed one of them bringing in nest material. I observed them circling overhead at sunset but didn't observe them enter the house after dark. I'll watch for them Sunday morning.
TNMartins

I’m a first timer too, so I’ve been watching very closely this year (we have 1 pair - with 5 chicks). I don’t know about how overnighters act in a big colony, but with our single pair they’re in super stealth mode in the evenings. You never know they’re in unless you see them. No noise, no commotion, no hanging around. It’s zoom ... in they go. Maybe a protection thing? They don’t want anyone to see where they went?

I’ve also observed that the male is always the ‘brave’ one. The female does not feel comfortable until the male shows her everything’s OK. Like after a nest check. The male always checks things out first. He’s also super protective now. Just this morning he’s violently attacking any bird that even thinks about landing on the rack (starlings).

Lastly - The time they enter for the night is always within 3 minutes of the actual sunset time. Before the chicks hatched it was 1 or 2 minutes before sunset. Always. Now that they’re feeding chicks it’s been up to 3 minutes past sunset.

Good luck - And let us know how it goes!
12 S&K B09 Gourds w/ 2 S&K barns converted to 6 cavities each

2016 - 0 visits
2017 - Few visitors late summer
2018 - 1 Pair, 5 Fledged
2019 - Visitors
2020 -
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

Sunday was busy there were some additional SY visitors briefly circling and the male was very vocal to try and bring them in. Haven't seen them much yesterday or today but it's difficult to keep an eye on things due to work.

This evening I tapped on the pole to see if there was any activity. Nothing came out right away so I figured they weren't in there then seemingly out of nowhere a single martin was circling and sort of dive bombing at the decoy on the top of the house and making the zwrack call. Didn't see that it came out of the house but it's the only thing that seems to make sense.
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

The previously mentioned SY pair has mysteriously moved on.

Now there is a very interested ASY pair that have been checking things out. They haven't spent the night yet but were here several times today including a lot of gourd hopping.

Hopefully they'll commit tomorrow.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

HeavyD you got them! Congratulations! Just let them do their thing. Keep nasty birds out and your colony will grow! So happy for you! :)
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

For whatever reason they have moved on.

I have had twice as many visitors than last year so I feel good that the martins can find me. Hopefully next year.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Heavy
The one thing I have learned, they are experts at driving us folks crazy. I don’t think they have been taught, that they shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Too bad they aren’t more willing to accept our hospitality when we have taken the time and effort to offer it. All we want to do is become closer to the nature we are all part of. I’m sure if we are given the chance we will all do our part to care for them as best we all can.
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
Heavy_D
2018 many vistors

I agree.

They were back again this morning. Don't know if it's the same pair or a new one and don't know if they are just visitors from another colony but he was going into the same cavities as before and trying to call her in but she was not as interested.

It makes me feel like a landlord for a few brief minutes and gives me a good feeling that I have a good location and that they can find the housing.

It also gives me hope for 2019.
taxidermy lady

phldave wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 pm
Heavy
The one thing I have learned, they are experts at driving us folks crazy. I don’t think they have been taught, that they shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Too bad they aren’t more willing to accept our hospitality when we have taken the time and effort to offer it. All we want to do is become closer to the nature we are all part of. I’m sure if we are given the chance we will all do our part to care for them as best we all can.
Dave
I feel for you guys! I wanted these birds so bad I just had to let it go and now look, I have a growing colony! The fifth year when I just pretty much said I’m only shooting starlings and sparrows that’s when I got them! I was so tired of doing this and changing that I was just done! So maybe just try that next. Let it go, relax and I bet they show up next Year!
I never prenested, I never played the song, I just shot bad birds! I paid to much for my setup to let trash hatch from it! I pray every chance I get for all the wannabes to get there first pair! I am thinking of all you! Good luck! :)
P.s. it’s good to get well educated before you get a lot of birds! That’s looking at the positive side! :)
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

taxidermy lady wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm
P.s. it’s good to get well educated before you get a lot of birds! That’s looking at the positive side! :)
You know, that's a very insightful observation. I learned soooooooo much in my 3 years of unsuccessful trying. I was always researching during that time. Almost obsessively. When I finally, and unexpectedly, got birds in year 4 I was a lot more prepared to be a good landlord than I was in year one.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
BillieJR

Thanks for the pep talk, Sharon! I'm still waiting.

My husband passed away last week and every day I look out for the purple martins, thinking this would be an excellent time for me to become a landlord - to take my mind off of my sadness and and to give me something to enjoy and be excited about - but so far nothing. On Saturday, when I was mowing, I had a pair come and hang around for about 20 minutes or half an hour. It was so exciting. The mower didn't seem to even bother them. One of them sat on the electric wires and didn't even move when I mowed under him/her. But they eventually flew off. I was hoping to see one/some today when I was mowing again but nothing. The last 2 or 3 times I've been outside mowing there have been visitors. Not today, tho.
taxidermy lady

Oh my so sorry about your husband! He will help you each and everyday! Martins love activity! They know they are safe then! Mine watch me too! Just make sure your open and they will come! Good luck :)
BillieJR

Thanks! :)