Chick count for Grand Forks AFB, ND

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Caroline94535-ND
Martin Colony History: Will add later

Chick count for Grand Forks AFB, ND

Postby Caroline94535-ND » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:40 pm

I'm being cautiously optomistic this season. My counts are...

In the 11 gourds, I have eight nesting pairs which laid 39 eggs.

Two eggs were pecked by a now-deceased sparrow...this leaves 37 eggs.

Three eggs didn't hatch...this leaves 34 eggs. ( I waited until the hatchlings were 3-4 days old and then checked the dud eggs. Two were clear/unfertilized; one had a tiny embryo that died soon after begining to form.)

All 34 eggs have hatched out and are growing, thriving, and looking beautiful. The oldest are around two weeks old.

I have at least two bachelor SY males. They 're behaving better than can be expected, so far. One is still busy building a nest and singing his heart out, but he has no lady-friend.
Last edited by Caroline94535-ND on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi Caroline.

Great Job! It sounds like your season is blossoming. Best wishes for many purple seasons in the future.
Sincerely,
Laverne

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:25 pm

Great news. So glad you are having a successful season. Also, thanks for your military service to the country :grin: My 7 babies are fledged. Soon to be off to the south. Hope they miss the hurricanes. Sue

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”