Still No SYs At My Colony

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

Still No SYs At My Colony

Postby handyman315 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 am

Although area landlords - well, State landlords - are reporting SYs, I have not been able to positively identify one at my colony in SW Ohio thus far in 2018.

Admittedly, I cannot tell a SY-F from a ASY-F with any degree of assurance. But with good binoculars, I can say that there are NO SY-Ms among my eight birds (all adults, I think), even though serious nest building and squabbling over the perfect gourd and best nest stick are in full swing . . . not that the neighboring farmer's field isn't full of more! :shock:
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, All Hunkered in the Cold
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests . . . (And Operated a Daily Flying Circus) :grin:
2016-Several Visits, Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate, Entered ALL Cavities
2015 & 2014-Many Visits

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”