I found a dead female who had been attacked. What happens to her hatchlings?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
LisaJ

I had a female get killed by a hawk, i believe. What happens to the babies she had been feeding?
BrendaVR

If you know for sure what nest is hers and that they are not being fed I think I would move the young to other nests of the same age. Spread them out so not to overwhelm the other parents. (But I'm not an experienced landlord so hopefully others will speak up). Without intervention they would likely starve, I think, depending on how many there are and if the other parent is continuing to feed them.
LisaJ

That helps! Thank you!
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

LisaJ wrote:I had a female get killed by a hawk, i believe. What happens to the babies she had been feeding?
It depends on the age of the chicks. If they are older the male should continue to feed them & fledge them. Not all males will tho. If they are pretty young yet & you know for sure she got killed, then you will need to move them to other nests with chicks close to the same age. Split them up if needed. I have moved eggs & chicks to save them when a female got killed. Sometimes all goes well & sometimes not. All you can do is try.

I would highly suggest if you need to do this paint one or two toenails, with nail polish, on each chick you need to move. Use a bright color like neon blue or orange so you can easily see it. That way you will know if any chicks in the nests you moved them to died. If you don't have any nail polish & have a tween or teenager living near by, ask them for some, or use a permanent marker. Just do the toenail. Record which nests you moved them to, so you can keep track of their progress.

If they are older & the male doesn't seem to be feeding them you can still move them to other nests, as long as they are close in age, the new parents will take over feed & fledge them.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member
LisaJ

Thank you!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Lisa, do you know for sure that she was feeding babies? It's early for babies in N Texas, I would think she could have had eggs, though.
LisaJ

I have a 16 cavity birdhouse shaped like a barn. The 2 crescent holes at one end are the "attic" and i cannot access area. The others are easy to open. Even if i could see in there, i cannot reach in to get eggs or anything out without hurting them.
flyin-lowe

A lot of people block those top attic locations off of those housed for that reason, plus it will get hot up there in the Texas summers. If it were me, if there are babies in there I would cut a hole and try to move them, then just remove any nesting material and cover the hole for good.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
LisaJ

I think that is what i am going to do. The strong winds all weekend have finally died down, so i can get up in there.
Thank you !