Help w/ Computer programming a Dawn Song Player

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bootjack farm
Martin Colony History: 9 years of trying hard...finally in 2017 I have 3 pair w/ 11 babies. T-14 +4 w/ 4 Troyer horiz. gourds. Also, 6 excluder gourd rack and Troyer Super System 24.

Help w/ Computer programming a Dawn Song Player

Postby bootjack farm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 am

The senior naturalist at our local Audubon is wanting to DIY a digital dawn song player similar to the Song Bird Magnet. He has purchased a Raspberry Pi (small computer) but is having trouble programming it. The vision is that this can be operated via hard wire or battery for remote locations. A weather proof speaker, separate from the Pi could be mounted directly atop the housing. The unit would turn on/off each day at specific times ....until the rechargeable battery ran down. I see some good potential for the DIY PM community if he can figure this out.

We are looking for someone with programming skills to help him with the Raspberry Pi. He is pretty tech savvy and has the other stuff pretty well figured out. Anybody out there willing to help? Thanks
Northwest PA

jogl

Re: Help w/ Computer programming a Dawn Song Player

Postby jogl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 am

There are threads about playing music, etc. all the time at the RaspberryPi forum.

eg.: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=92118

Have him do a sight search, put this into a search engine:

Code: Select all

site:www.raspberrypi.org play music at time
Good luck.

P.S.: Also check for local RPi, robotics, technology clubs. And local high schools might have a tech savvy teacher or student who could help. What you are looking for is very easily done, you really should look at the RPi forum for examples.

bootjack farm
Martin Colony History: 9 years of trying hard...finally in 2017 I have 3 pair w/ 11 babies. T-14 +4 w/ 4 Troyer horiz. gourds. Also, 6 excluder gourd rack and Troyer Super System 24.

Postby bootjack farm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 am

Great, that's a good start. I'm just trying to help but i'm pretty clueless.
Northwest PA

arthurnottheking

Postby arthurnottheking » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 am

Re: Help w/ Computer programming a Dawn Song Player resource
The senior naturalist at our local Audubon is wanting to DIY a digital dawn song player similar to the Song Bird Magnet. He has purchased a Raspberry Pi (small computer) but is having trouble programming it. The vision is that this can be operated via hard wire or battery for remote locations. A weather proof speaker, separate from the Pi could be mounted directly atop the housing. The unit would turn on/off each day at specific times ....until the rechargeable battery ran down. I see some good potential for the DIY PM community if he can figure this out.

We are looking for someone with programming skills to help him with the Raspberry Pi. He is pretty tech savvy and has the other stuff pretty well figured out. Anybody out there willing to help? Thanks
Any updates on this? What are the alternatives to Songbird Magnet anyway? I'm doing a research on the musicality in birdsongs. Tried to contact David Rothenberg but didn't get any reply. Also looking for this reference. Adret P. Operant-Conditioning, Song Learning and Imprinting to Taped Song in the Zebra Finch.

randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year 0 Martins
2019- Lots Lookers
2020- TBD

Postby randy741985 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 pm

I use a computer using Windows task scheduler, so task scheduler can be set to open a digital copy of the dawn song with media player at 4am and run till 6am. Then another task programmed say daytime chatter from 1pm to 4pm everyday. Connecting the headphone jack to a stereo audio input with speakers located outside. It worked well.

Just click the link below for how to program windows task scheduler...

https://www.google.com/search?q=program ... e&ie=UTF-8
2018-14 Gourds First Year 0 Martins
2019- 14 Gourds Lots Lookers
2020- 6 Gourds TBD

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”