S a S repeater trap

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 16 pairs great year
2017. 76 cavities 36 pairs
2018. 146 cavities

Have just seen a posts on these traps and have been going back and forth on getting one of these ,so the post prompted me to ask the question how many of you have got or used these traps and how good and effective are they.and do they continue to work without much need for inrev3ntion from us ,I h@ve a Benjamin and do shot them but they really don’t like you doin it in town as I found out so just curious if this would be a better way or an addition to my S a S control thanks
2018 146 cavities.
klcretired

They are a Great Trap to have , once erected you can see what you Catch in the wire basket below, They work all year long even when the Martins are long gone , also during all the years I have had Mine up (Since 2008) I have never caught a Martin , the reason is because i erected my S & S right Beside a Oak Tree and the Martins won't go near it, In the start i had a real big S & S Problem but persistence pays off , Not Long after i had mine up it ended my S & S problem , what prompted me to buy one is one Year I Lost my whole Martin colony to Starlings. To Me it's a very very good investment for the Protection of My Martins
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Dale D
Martin Colony History: Landlord since 2004

MichaelH wrote:Have just seen a posts on these traps and have been going back and forth on getting one of these ,so the post prompted me to ask the question how many of you have got or used these traps and how good and effective are they.and do they continue to work without much need for inrev3ntion from us ,I h@ve a Benjamin and do shot them but they really don’t like you doin it in town as I found out so just curious if this would be a better way or an addition to my S a S control thanks
Michael, I do an S&S Spreadsheet survey and last year we trapped 1055 S&S total with the S&S Controller trapping 234 Starlings making it the most productive Starling Trap in our survey. Hope that gives you a good idea.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 42 Cavities Total
MichaelH
Martin Colony History: 2015 28 cavities 2 pairs
2016 big upgrade 56cavities 16 pairs great year
2017. 76 cavities 36 pairs
2018. 146 cavities

Thanks guys that is good to hear and prob something I may get ,my only dilemma will be all my tree lines are in the alley so won’t be able to put one there but maybe it would work right up to my garage ,maybe even attach to my garage on brackets ,just thinking it through,thanks for the input
2018 146 cavities.
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Great trap to have! I haven't caught huge numbers of s&s with it but the ones I do catch, are the ones that would have caused problems for the martins. When you catch a sparrow or starling in it, that bird was looking for a place to nest. If you didn't have it up, it would have attempted to nest in your martin housing. If you put it next to a tree and buildings, the S&S will like it better than your martin housing since the martin housing is in the open and the S&S controller is near the tree. Therefore, they will check it out before your martin housing. Of course, once they check it out they are trapped. However, martins will not very often enter due to it being too close to the trees and buildings. It's an almost must for martin landlords.

Since the weight of the bird is what triggers the sea-saw inside to go down, the sea-saw most be fine tuned to lower when that light little sparrow enters yet return to its original location when the bird exits the other side of the "house." Since it's so sensitive to any little change in the weight of either end of the sea-saw, any accumulation of bird droppings on the box end of the sea-saw could eventually not allow the box to return to its original location (making any entering birds go on top of the box). If the box end of the sea-saw cannot go back up to the entrance hole, you won't be catching any birds! Any birds that enter at this point will find a very big nesting compartment! Twice last year I saw starlings go to my s&s controller with straw in their beaks. Both times I checked the s&s controller and they had HUGE nests in the s&s behind the trapping mechanism. I don't think it was because of droppings that the sea-saw stopped working; the sea-saw fell of the hinge point because my screws were too short. As soon as the trap was back to working, those starlings came back to check on their nest and eggs and within a day or two I had both parents plus a visiting starling trapped. :grin:
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

Didn't work to well for me. Many of my neighbors feed the birds cheap millet bird seed. These are established feeding sites for HOSP. It's difficult to lure a HOSP away from it's established feeding site into your trap sitting on a table. Occasionally my neighbors bird feeder would run out of food and then I could lure some HOSP into the trap. As soon as my neighbor refilled his feeder, then once again I was unable to lure them. I'm quite certain that if I didn't have stupid neighbors with bird feeders, the repeating trap would work very well. That just isn't reality where I live. My advice. Peak over your fence and see if any of your neighbors have bird feeders before you make your buying decision.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
klcretired

Hello Bird Brain,
Sorry the S & S Repeater did not work for you , every PM Land Lord has a different scenario at their Location.
along with the S & S I had alot of other traps Like insert traps that fit my SG's along with nestbox traps that were just above my fence line.
A long with my Trapping I also would shoot so It did not take me long to get my S & S Problem under control , Persistence pays off big Dividends and let my Martins Live & Breed with ease and Peace of Mind. It is a very good feeling to see only Martins at My Colony and even though I hardly ever see any S & S's I am still very vigilant and Protect my Martins. I hope things get better for you in your fight with the S & S's and thank you for caring about the Martins
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
marcus
Martin Colony History: Mom n Dad had a plastic 12 unit martin house with some martins as long as I can remember. In 2013 they had 1 pair. I don't think they fledged any. I then started learning how to take care of martins and in 2014 we took that house down and put up a Troyer 18 gourd rack. We had 7 pair with 28 fledged.That summer I built a T-14 (I was only 12). I was also given 4 natural gourds that I hung beneath the T-14. In 2015, we had 23 pair although only 22 pair fledged young. They fledged 88 young. In 2016, we had 36 pair, 210 eggs, 163 hatched, 149 fledge!! One pair fledged 2 broods. In 2017, I had 36 pair with 35 fledging young. They laid 204 eggs, hatched 155, and fledged 152.

Bird Brain, I believe you are talking about a smaller trap that you have to use bait to attract the S&S. This is a different trap that looks like a martin house. The S&S are not attracted by bait but rather by the belief that it would make a good nesting spot.