Sparrows in New Houses!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Gafrantal

How can I keep the sparrows out of the PM houses?
rrmartins

If you can’t shoot them, you’ll need to trap them and dispose of them. Lots of good threads on here about trapping and traps, depending on your house style. I use insert traps in my T14, and a Blaine’s repeater. Good luck!!
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Some info here, check links at bottom: https://www.purplemartin.org/purple-mar ... on-native/
You'll need to be able to tell the difference between House Sparrows and our native sparrows, too. Only House Sparrows will build in a martin house or gourd (our many species of native sparrows are not cavity nesters), native House Wrens will build in a pm or bluebird house.
James A Lenz
Martin Colony History: 2017 New Landlord 11 cavities offered 3 pair fledging 8.

Louise Chambers wrote:Some info here, check links at bottom: https://www.purplemartin.org/purple-mar ... on-native/
You'll need to be able to tell the difference between House Sparrows and our native sparrows, too. Only House Sparrows will build in a martin house or gourd (our many species of native sparrows are not cavity nesters), native House Wrens will build in a pm or bluebird house.
Are you able to shoot the little rascals? If you can use a four ten shotgun in my opinion it works well. Especially if you can shoot the male house sparrow the female won’t hang around with all the noise from the shotgun after her mate is gone. Shoot the female as well but really target that male. Trapping is great also but you still have to dispatch the sparrow after you trap it. Of course it goes without saying you never shoot at any bird in the same direction as your Purple Martins.
Glynn B - LA

What type of housing are you taking about? You can get detailed trapping help if we knew.

Glynn
2019 26 pair 116 fledged
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Here are some trapping and shooting ideas for English House sparrows.
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com/2015/02 ... s-for.html
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
RC Moser

IMO if no martins are in the area yet keep the entry holes plugged, even then male English Sparrow (MES) will still lurk, when pm's arrive open couple of entry ways is site and position your house (if you have House) so you can see down the sides. There are several low powered pellet guns available with outstanding accuracy. idea shooting distance 12 meters or around 10 to 20 yards (20 yards stretch for average shooter beings you have to hit target size of dime on the first shot or the MES get wise to your stalking) . Once you get ES's you have to get rid of them or they will relentlessly presue the colony till the ran off the PM or harass, destroy PM eggs till they control majority of the colony. IMO the most effective method is shooting the aggressive Male first then work on any in close proximity of you colony.
James A Lenz
Martin Colony History: 2017 New Landlord 11 cavities offered 3 pair fledging 8.

RC Moser wrote:IMO if no martins are in the area yet keep the entry holes plugged, even then male English Sparrow (MES) will still lurk, when pm's arrive open couple of entry ways is site and position your house (if you have House) so you can see down the sides. There are several low powered pellet guns available with outstanding accuracy. idea shooting distance 12 meters or around 10 to 20 yards (20 yards stretch for average shooter beings you have to hit target size of dime on the first shot or the MES get wise to your stalking) . Once you get ES's you have to get rid of them or they will relentlessly presue the colony till the ran off the PM or harass, destroy PM eggs till they control majority of the colony. IMO the most effective method is shooting the aggressive Male first then work on any in close proximity of you colony.
Great advice! I totally agree!
Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

When shooting house sparrows you must get them with the first or second shots. If I miss those initial shots, they immediately become wise to the danger. Any movement nearby or even cracking a window to get a shot and they fly off. I can't figure out how they know they are being targeted, but they definitely know. Unfortunately they are shrewd and wily survivors.
Craig Dyer