Hello from Mount Dora, Florida

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Donnie Hurdt MN

Hi there Barb! Great to see you on here again! :) I thought I would never hear from you again, like a lot of people that used to be on this forum.
I hope you will have good luck getting martins at your new site you were a great landlord with your previous sites.
I did have one pair of sub adults nest last summer, the last time I had a pair nest was back in 2011 hope they will come back this spring. Please don't be a stranger on this forum always enjoy hearing from you. :)
PMCA member and Martin fanatic....
2011 A pair of subbies fledged three young but none returned in 2012 :-(
2015 One Pair of subbies came and stayed a few nits but got chased away by Bluebirds and Tree swallows. :-(
2017 0ne pair of subbies nested and fledged 4 young
2018 Tree Swallows AGAIN chased away any martins that wanted to nest :evil:
2019 Same old story................ :-(
PMloverBarb

RC, I read about the sinkhole. That was awfully close to your house, wasn't it! That would make me a little nervous. The Villages has grown and continues to grow by leaps and bounds, and we need more medical facilities to catch up with the population. One thing's for sure... I'll have a job till the day I die (if I want it).

I love what I do. I work in a clinic right next to the hospital. My work is interesting and challenging. If you ever get a chance to stop by, I'd love to say hello to you. Work address: 1575 Santa Barbara Blvd. The Villages. I work Mon, Wed & Thurs. 8-6:30
Barb Messimer AKA "FLORIDA SUNSHINE GODDESS"

Martin landlord in Orlando 1983-1986 and in Apopka 2003-2010. Living in Mount Dora now. 4 years trying to attract martins. Site isn't ideal but the best that it can be. Had 2 ASY pairs last year but the FLYCATCHERS and WOODPECKERS ran them off! Hoping this will be my year!
PMloverBarb

Donnie, its so good to meet up with you again, my dear friend!!! As you can imagine, I really miss my martins and hope this will be the year we start a colony in Dora Pines. I've been playing the dawnsong off-and-on but, so far, to no avail. This is the prime time to start getting them though so will keep on trying.

Congrats on your subbie pair last year! How many did they fledge? I sure hope they come back and bring some of their friends with them! I bet you'll be a nervous wreck looking for them when the time comes! Keep me posted!

Martin landlord in Orlando 1983-1986 and in Apopka 2003-2010. Living in Mount Dora now. 4 years trying to attract martins. Site isn't ideal but the best that it can be. Had 2 ASY pairs last year but the FLYCATCHERS and WOODPECKERS ran them off! Hoping this will be my year!
PMloverBarb

Donnie, I just read your signature.... So your subbies fledged 4 last year! That's great. I bet they were plump and healthy. I so hope they come back!