Make 2018 a year to reach out and recruit new landlords

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi everyone,
Many new year resolutions are tossed to the wayside each year, but here is a challenge for everyone during the 2018 season.
Get out of your comfort zone and spread the word of martins to people in your neighborhood. Make an effort to either get a new person started with martins or educated people to get them excited about martins in 2018. It is time to buckle down and make a difference this season. We all focus mainly on our own colonies, but if you mentor just one person you have doubled your efforts. Best wishes and have a great season.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
Home colony: mix natural gourds, house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
PMCA member

Dave, amen to that. Iv given some Martin fact sheets to my two closest neighbors, they are excited for this season.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in SREH and predator protection.
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Dave .... Well said.. I’m impressed with your new resolution... If we can’t pass these birds on to someone else, before we are gone, then we have lost another colony...

Dave
Last edited by Dave Reynolds on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:

PMCA Member
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

I live in a very affluent, educated neighborhood. As soon as they discover they must spend several hundred for a good pole/house, wait several years for occupation, and must execute house sparrows, they're done. It's a tough sell. My gourd rack is visible from the street and occasionally someone will ask me what it is. When I tell them, I get a blank stare like I just explained Einstein's theory of relativity or something. LOL. As soon as I get birds, I'll join the mentor list. That's about the best I can do.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
K_Adams
Martin Colony History: Home Site 2015 & 2016 2 pairs, 2017 3 pairs
Public Park Site 2016 1 pair, 2017 28 pairs
Starting Middle School Site 1/2018, 12 gourds
Starting Elementary School Site 1/2018, 12 gourds

1/2017 Purple Martin Article in Baton Rouge Audubon Society's Newsletter
4/2017 Guest speaker at St. Bernard Bird Festival
5/2017 Purple Martin Article in Livingston Parish Newspaper
1/2018 Article to be included in PMCA Quarterly Magazine

I'm starting with the youth...starting a middle school site with the 4-H club and also starting a site at an elementary school. In addition, I'm expanding my public park site and adding an informational board there so everywhere there does not have to wonder what the heck are those poles and birds.

I've already expanded knowledge by sharing information on my personal facebook page and reaching out to neighbors. I'm known as the crazy bird lady in my town.

There is definitely other avenues to pursue...send an article to the local paper. They'll include it. I did it last year and plan to get one over to the Baton Rouge paper to see if they'll print it. I also sent in an article to the Baton Rouge Audubon Society and it was included in their newsletter last year. Definitely ways to spread the news and educate others.

Good luck all!

Krista
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Awesome response everyone.
Tom, those fact sheets are a godsend. They are invaluable. Thanks for spreading the word. The sheets are great because those receiving the sheets can take them inside where they can sit down in their free time and read in leisure.
Dave, excellent note that we need to leave our colonies to future possible landlords once we are gone. It is as if we are leaving our legacy for the martins and new martin people.
Bird Brain, I can definitely relate to the blank stares and puzzled looks when you explain to people the things required to raise such a beautiful bird. Some people just are not cut out to make it as landlords. Bless you for becoming a mentor, because your work as a mentor will have multiplying effects in the martin population.
Krista Adams, oh my goodness you are doing super things in helping the martins by reaching out and educating the kids. Your work with the public site is very honorable. I recently added an educational sign at my public site in Ames, Iowa. Neat to see others doing the same. Facebook is a nice tool in getting the word out to the masses. Awesome job on putting it out in the newspapers; ink is always a good way to go. I'm also know as the crazy bird guy in my hometown, so it is good to know there is a crazy bird lady out there. lol.

*SUPER JOB EVERYONE*****
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2017-nothing
2018-1 visitor
2019-nothing
2020-the most visitors/activity by far after making many site improvements. Unsuccessful SY Male visited for 2 weeks.

I wish governor's mansions at state capitals would install martin housing or even the white house. That would definitely help spread the word about this hobby. All those presidents and governors and none of them installed martin housing. It's the first thing I would do. Just imagine the news media broadcasting Donald Trump or a state governor lowering their martin housing to check on their birds. Many people would get interested. Michelle Obama had a white house garden. Why not a martin pole ? Any purple martin lobbyist out there?
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.
Evan337

At the Louisiana’s governor’s mansion there is a trio castle next to the garden. I don’t think it’s managed or checked but martins do nest there.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
Home colony: mix natural gourds, house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
PMCA member

Bird Brain,
That's a great idea, wonder why the big martin house companies don't offer a few houses, some knowhow...think of the free press!
Tom
PMCA member, believer in SREH and predator protection.
Dave Duit

A purple martin TV documentary on public television would help out in recruiting new landlords. Virtually any mention of martins in a good light is great for gaining interest in martins. Super ideas everyone.
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Dave,
I would think Iowa Outdoors Magazine with the DNR would run with an article about purple martins, and the same goes with the program on IPTV. I've been getting pretty board with a lot of the programming on TV here lately, and have fallen back on the old reliable Iowa public TV. I have also been kicking around the idea in my mind of contacting Pleasant Hills park director about starting a site in Doan's park. It's just really hard thinking about that, when I am still so dedicated in get something to notice my own private site. I also realize, that maybe by planting a seed 2 or 3 blocks away at the park which has some wide open spaces high on a hill may just be the trick in getting them to notice mine.
Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
Dave Duit

Hi Dave,
Hope to see you in Kaolona in March for the purple martin seminar and workshop. Maybe we can chat a little about the possibilities. A site at a park is how Tim Gedler got his martins started, then a few years later at his own location a few miles away. Good ideas.
Dave Duit

Hi Dave again,
I have many modified gourds from our Iowa Organizations gourd and house exchange for you if you want them,(free of course), to start a colony in the Doan Park or near your own place on the hill. Just email me if you want them, 36 in total. dave@iamartin.org
Dave Duit

The 36 gourds have been sold and will be at a new landlords home this season. Regardless of your state and the population of martins in your state, I believe we all can make an improvement in increasing their numbers if each person makes an effort in recruiting at least one NEW landlord to get started in the purple martin hobby. Try to break out of your shell, so to speak, and make an honest effort in helping a new wannabe or give a short presentation to a group about martins. educating the public is key in spreading the hobby. Best of luck my friends.
dpugh

Hello All, Last year after visiting some Amish in Kentucky and seeing their huge purple martin colony, I decided to purchase a nice pole rack set up with troyer gourds. I'm located in central Va. near Lynchburg. I believe we have a good location as we have a decent amount of open land and a farm pond located on the neighboring property but only time will tell. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some birds soon.
Dave Duit

dpugh,
It is great to see another new landlord taking up the hobby. I wish you the best and hopefully you will attract some martins in the first year.
MartinStudent

I think your idea is a fantastic one, though it's been my experience not everyone is willing to go through all the work to host purple martins. I myself, have supported the PMCA for a few years, before researching and finally taking the dive into becoming a landlord. I had no idea what was involved because, though I had many BBs on my property that actually raised families without any help from me, I had no idea about BBs needing a bit help, too. I actually took some time and drove around my city the other day looking for PM houses. I found one crammed next to another kind of bird house under a big oak tree, as if it was there forever. No PMs either, of course. Even out in the country where I live, no one PM house.
As a University Professor, I often discuss animals as ways to emphasize some subjects. All are enthusiastic about becoming a PM landlord until they hear what is required. Their replies then are many: "Too much work for a bird." "No time." "Huh?" "No way," to list a few. That is the present generation. I'm not saying there aren't any in Mississippi that aren't interested in becoming or are already are PM Landlords, but I haven't met any yet. It's sad.
Animal Lover. Voice for animals. Purple Martin Landlord Wannabe. Proponent for large cavities. :grin: