Will all the new landlords please standup!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
James A Lenz
Martin Colony History: 2017 New Landlord 11 cavities offered 3 pair fledging 8.

Hello everyone I'm James and I live in Athens, Al I am a first time landlord. I offered 11 gourds and had 3 succeedful pairs of Martins that fledged between 5 and 6 babies this year. I feel so blessed to have had Martins in my first year trying. I was confident I might have success because of my proximity to several established colonies. I plan to offer 18 gourds next year on two poles. I will be adding 6 excluder gourds with owl guards to the 12 gourds I have now. I am missing my new friends right now but am busying myself preparing for next year to deal with my grief. Lol!!!! OK! Now that was my experience and now I would love to hear from all the first time landlords this year and if you have any prospects for any new landlords you know of in your community. I have a new friend here in Athens that is saying he will be trying to start a new colony next year. NOW ITS YOUR TURN! Let's hear from all you fellow first time landlords for 2017.
Buckeyefarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015- 0 visitors
2016- 0 visitors
2017- built T-14+songbird magnet, 6 pairs,15 fledged
2018- built 2nd T-14. Anxiously waiting!!

Central Ohio.
I had my first successful nesting this year. Just two more nest to fledge. So far all are doing well. Yesterday I dug and set another base for a T-14 that I will build this winter. It's sure been a lot of fun watching them, hope to see them again next year.
Mark
Central, OHIO.
Tyree30

I put up one 12 room plastic house from Tractor Supply. I had two nesting pair and several visitors. Fledged 10 martins, 5 in each nest. Thrilled to have them come at my first attempt. There is an established colony 4 miles from here. I plan to offer a second house next year. Sure enjoyed watching them and got a good picture

Looking forward to next season. Lone Jack, Missouri
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
Home colony: mix natural gourds, house. All SREH.
Satelite colony Oso bay preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
PMCA member

James,
Corpus Christi Texas; second year trying. 5 nesting pair-fledged 15. planted the base yesterday for the trio mini castle I'm putting up to expand my little colony...going to keep it small and tidy. Boy did I learn a lot since April...#1 was how lucky I am to have them after only 2 years. #2 how much I didn't know! Im helping 2 wanna be landlords down the street, I think their success will be worth it. I wish I had the chance to attract them 20 years ago! Military didn't allow that, too much hopping around. :lol:
Wish you all the best next year with these wonderful birds!
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in SREH and predator protection.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I think everyone knows by now I had my first nesting pair! :lol: :lol:

It took me 5 years to attract! I'm ready for next spring to see what happens! The corn will be turning soon! The farmer will be picking in September! Then more trees come down! I'm excited! :wink:
Sharon from southern Illinois
Rockchalk
Martin Colony History: Following my mom's footsteps. Old 12 compartment 'Grandpa' at our weekend lake retreat. Reestablished site 2015.

I just finished my second year of re-establishing our martin front. Not sure I can call it a colony as I only had one pair each year. This season my pair fledged five and we had 4 other sub adults around all year. I have the ole 12 compartment aluminum house. Over the winter my plan is to enlarge the compartments and offer six hopefully more appealing nesting spots. If we have more pairs next year I'll keep upgrading and adding nesting options. Really enjoying having martins around again. Hated to see them go.
2016 - 1 pair - 4 fledged
2017 - 1 pair - 5 fledged
2018 - 3 pair - 11 fledged
honna58

After not having any martins last year I put up different gourds. Using Bo nine clingers, 6. They attracted several pairs and some singles too. However, come middle of July it got real hot and the birds disappeared. After about a week with no birds I took the houses down to inspect. Now I did forget to mention several pairs of sparrows also moved in. I cleaned out the sparrow nests and in the martin nests I found 3 abandoned eggs, and in the other nest there were at least 2 dead martins. I wonder what happened to the martins? Did the sparrows fight and kill them? Did it get too hot? I live in south central Texas but I have seen martins at other houses. We will see what happens next year I guess.
cabin man
Martin Colony History: Got my first SY pair in 2017. Fledged 1, but died due to wing entrapment. 2018- changed all entrances and got one ASY pair. Fledged 3

I'm happy to report that I am no longer a wannabe be, also. What a great feeling to have birds, finally. I'm happy for all those who succeeded in attracting these beautiful birds to their sites.
Tengai
Martin Colony History: 2017 first year

Phil here new landlord in Delaware
Moved into new house last June two neighbors close by had martins plus others in the area perfect habitat wide open property backs to corn field put up house and they came!
11 pairs nested 10 were successful some asy some sy 47 eggs fledged 43 last 4 just fledged still hanging around others are gone most of day but many still coming back at night. I have a 12 room apartment house and 6 gourds on a telescoping pole. Will be adding another rack with a pully. Done with struggling getting it back up!
Phil
Townsend DE
flyin-lowe

Not technically a new landlord as I had a colony with 30 pair until I moved 5 years ago. I set up at a new place and this year has by far been the best. Two different times in the past 5 years I have had 1 SY pair nest. This year I had 3 pair that nested and 4 other SY's that have been here since spring, they never paired up or nested. Each nest had 4 eggs and 10 of them hatched and I believe all 10 have/will fledge. My first nest fledged last week while I was on vacation and this weekend the other two started. Since fledging has started it is not uncommon for me to have 20 plus martins around at times. Yesterday there were 3 ASY males around helping some of the newbies learn to fly. I have always been amazed at how martins from other colonies get "word" when eggs are hatching and when fledging is going on. This year I noticed one day about 5 extra visitors hanging around my gourd rack buzzing around, I checked and sure enough the first eggs had hatched that day. Once all of them have fledged I will lower the house to make sure there are no dead ones left behind but last I checked a couple weeks ago all 10 were healthy and I see no signs that would make me think they won't all fledge.

I obviously have my fingers crossed that some of these SY's will return next year. It is very tough when you only have one SY pair, the odds of them making it back the following year are not the best. Hopefully several of these will be back as ASY's which will really draw in a crown next year.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Just want to say CONGRATS top all you new landlords :).

Great job well done....keep on reading & learning. Keep notes & make changes as needed to keep your colony returning & expanding.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
James A Lenz

honna58 wrote:After not having any martins last year I put up different gourds. Using Bo nine clingers, 6. They attracted several pairs and some singles too. However, come middle of July it got real hot and the birds disappeared. After about a week with no birds I took the houses down to inspect. Now I did forget to mention several pairs of sparrows also moved in. I cleaned out the sparrow nests and in the martin nests I found 3 abandoned eggs, and in the other nest there were at least 2 dead martins. I wonder what happened to the martins? Did the sparrows fight and kill them? Did it get too hot? I live in south central Texas but I have seen martins at other houses. We will see what happens next year I guess.

Hey there Honna58 Im afraid the sparrows killed the Martins and that is why the colony was abandoned. You have to keep the sparrows away from your Martins. Sparrows will poke holes I the eggs and even kill Martins out right if they can corner them in the gourd. I trap and shoot sparrow. I shoot them with a 410 shotgun and am about to invest in a CROSSMAN f4 break barrel nitro with the scope that you can buy at Walmart. This air rifle is very accurate and doesn't require pumping. What ever you have to do to keep the sparrows away is my moto. I hate those little devils because they bully and kill my Martins and their babies.
csmibert
Martin Colony History: 2017 1 pair. 5 fledged
2018 2 pair 6 fledged
2019 5 pair 17 fledged

Alberta, Canada

This is my first year hosting purple martins. I ended up with one ASY pair, and two SY males. The pair laid 6 eggs, 5 hatched and fledged. I am definitely hooked and will be doing all I can to better my housing for next year. When I put up my house I had done zero research. My house us an older one inherited from my dad, where the rooms are only 6x6. I am afraid to take this house down and put up a newer version for fear my pair won't come back if things are changed. Is this a possibility?
Last edited by csmibert on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

csmibert wrote:Alberta, Canada

This is my first year hosting purple martins. I ended up with one ASY pair, and two SY males. The pair laid 6 eggs, 5 hatched and fledged. I am definitely hooked and will be doing all I can to better my housing for next year. When I put up my house I had done zero research. My house us an older one inherited from my dad, where the rooms are only 6x6. I am afraid to take this house down and put up a newer version for fear my pair won't come back if things are changed. Is this a possibility?
I would leave the old house as is! Then I would have some gourds and another house with larger cavities and I bet they'll pick the better cavity next year! That's what mine did. They stayed 2 nights in a 6x6 cavity and then investigated the larger gourd cavities and picked a THG gourd! Good luck :)

A nice T-14 would be good for you! :)
flyin-lowe

CS
Take some pictures of the house, is it home made or a commercial made house? Many of them can be expanded so you have half as many rooms but they will be 12 inches deep. It would be a good idea, especially if you are going to add more housing, to expand the cavities in the house you have then add more modern housing.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
taxidermy lady

With just only 1 pair I would leave their house exactly the way it was! Offer other cavities and let them change on their own!
Martins are picky when it comes to changes! If they don't come back and you changed your house you'll kick yourself. I would hate that for you! Good luck! :)
cabin man
Martin Colony History: Got my first SY pair in 2017. Fledged 1, but died due to wing entrapment. 2018- changed all entrances and got one ASY pair. Fledged 3

I agree with Sharon. I wouldn't change anything the first year. God forbid you lose them because they didn't find their original house. As Sharon mentioned, just put up a gourd rack or something in addition to what they have. My humble opinion . I don't have a lot of experience but I have been reading a lot. Congratulations and good luck for next year.
handyman315
Martin Colony History: Colony established May 20, 2017 after three unsuccessful years. Persistent and aggressive Tree Swallows plagued the site, but beyond learning - and practicing - to control them, was the return in 2017 of a 2016-SY-M previously unable to find a mate. As a handsome ASY-M, he brought along two females and a swagger that soon put the Tree Swallow issue to rest. As the anchor pair, he and his mate hatched all six of their eggs into fat and healthy babies into what settled in to be a three-pair, flourishing new colony with up to 11 birds total, including 3 SY-M trouble makers.

Another first-year landlord here after three unsuccessful years. Started 2017 with four nesting pair; one nest was abandoned but the remaining three pair ended up fledging 13 from three nests.

Main problems the first three years had been (in order): Tree Swallows, English Sparrows, & pristine-uninviting housing.

Have also learned that the "unsuccessful" years might not have been complete failures inasmuch as one SY-M clearly claimed my site in 2016 and (I think) he returned in 2017 as a dazzlingly black ASY-M along with two females . . . from Rio. :shock: Hey, can you winter in South America? Then my anchor male can meet honeys while there! :lol:

Improvements planned over the off months: Strengthen and stabilize some poles and gourds racks to withstand these never ceasing Ohio winds.

Congrats to the other first-year landlords.
Last edited by handyman315 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019- 19 Nesting Pair Fledged 84 babies. The Pattern is Full.
2018-ASY-M Arrived April 6, Despite Snow & Cold, Joined Soon by Mate & Two Adult Pairs, Season of 11 Nests W/48 Babies
2017-FIRST-YEAR LANDLORD! :grin: Resident SY-M from 2016 Returned (as ASY-M) on May 20. At Least 11 Resident PMs, with 13 Fledged from Three Nests and Operated a Daily Flying Circus :grin:
2016-Late-Arriving SYs, Resident Lone SY-M, Unable to Find Mate
2015 & 2014-Many Visits
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

rack.jpg
rack.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
First year landlord here. I tried 3 previous years with lots of interest but nobody stayed.

This year I raised the gourd rack 3 feet and attracted 4 pair. 12 fledges so far. I have 1 pair who laid eggs about a month later than the others. Hopefully they all successfully fledge this weekend.

This forum has been a real blessing. I've learned a lot this year and I'll be much better prepared next year.

(Photo is my rack this morning. You can see one of the 5 last babies in the entrance of one of the right-facing gourds)
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
James A Lenz

-=DKC=- wrote:
rack.jpg
First year landlord here. I tried 3 previous years with lots of interest but nobody stayed.

This year I raised the gourd rack 3 feet and attracted 4 pair. 12 fledges so far. I have 1 pair who laid eggs about a month later than the others. Hopefully they all successfully fledge this weekend.

This forum has been a real blessing. I've learned a lot this year and I'll be much better prepared next year.

(Photo is my rack this morning. You can see one of the 5 last babies in the entrance of one of the right-facing gourds)
Congratulations to us all. Thankyou all for sharing your experiences it helped me in my empty ness time of need to hear of others experiences. For those of us who had difficulties I would urge you to interact on the forum and allow the wealth of wisdom that is here help you through your times of need. They sure helped me a ton and continue to do so. As for our beautiful new friends may God Bless our birds! I will be praying for them in their absence hoping for their quick return.