I have 2 pair now!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

I watched the new SY pair that hooked up this Wednesday come in tonight! They are in a THG with sreh! Yippe!
I also have a lone Sy male and he's still looking for his girl! I am so grateful for this! I could end up with 3 pair this first year! I am totally in shock! I never thought it was going to happen! But it has finally! Yeeeehawwww!!!! :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
Kuemic
Martin Colony History: 2015 1 SY pair, 2 eggs destroyed by house sparrow
2016 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 2 hatchlings, 2 fledged
2017 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatchlings, 5 fledged; 1 SY pair, 4 eggs not incubated
2018 daily visitors but no takers
2019 1 SY pair, 4 eggs, 2 destroyed by House Wren, 2 hatchlings, 2 fledged
2020 1ASY pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatchlings, 5 fledged

Yea Sharon!!!! Those 5 will make enough noise to attract others!

Same thing's going on here, a lone SY male is trying to attract the female of the SY pair staying here. That female was picking green leaves like mad this morning, placing them in 3 different gourds :grin: She avoided both males and would swoop in away from any gourd the males were attending. They were hopping all over the place trying to keep up with her.

Not sure how serious she really is but it's a hoot to watch.

Have fun with your growing colony!!

Michelle
Michelle in Topeka
Ed Pace

That's really great news Sharon, it's still early you might wind up with even more than three pair. Have fun and wishing you the best of luck. Ed and Mona
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

taxidermy lady wrote:I watched the new SY pair that hooked up this Wednesday come in tonight! They are in a THG with sreh! Yippe!
I also have a lone Sy male and he's still looking for his girl! I am so grateful for this! I could end up with 3 pair this first year! I am totally in shock! I never thought it was going to happen! But it has finally! Yeeeehawwww!!!! :)
CONGRATS Sharon. So glad you finally got Martins. You will get this feeling every year they return.

The more eggs they lay the better your chances of them coming back & increasing in numbers. I would start supplement feeding as soon as you get a day or so that isn't good for finding food. It may take many attempts before they accept it. It could make a huge difference in your colony.

Keep records. I do a daily report in MS Word. Just make a 3 column table (Date, Notes, Martin count) I note: daily weather/temps, activity, arrivals, amount of crickets flipped/time, etc..... note whatever info you want to keep from the time they arrive to the last day they leave. I just save it in Word & can pull up several years past.

Break out your camera. I have a folder just for Martin photos. I add folders to the folder for each year. If you don't have a photo editing program I can suggest a good free one.

Keep us updated. Just wait until those eggs hatch & you see those tiny pinkies.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Awesome!! It's funny that Toy mentioned pinkies. A couple of nights ago my mark told me how he hates the looks of newly hatched baby birds. He even shuddered a bit. True to how everyone is different I told him I love them! I think they are so cute and marvel at how strong their little necks are. I guess we disagree on that one. Lol.

I know you are enjoying so I will not say to enjoy. Have fun.

Deb
Okie
Martin Colony History: 2016 Informed landlord now Have 2 pair returning from 2015 That is a miracle. Hoping for a very successful year, sparrow population on decline.
First house was plastic with crescent holes Had martins within a few days. Ignorant landlord gradually lost them
Then got Trio House and still lost most of them. Lots of sparrows

Sharon you certainly deserve your elation. Soooooo happy for you. Can't wait to hear about the pinkies.
Okie
PMCA member
2016 Started with 2 pair, 1 pair abandoned after HOSP destroyed eggs
1 pair= 6 eggs, 6 fledged
2017 1 pair so far, But they abandoned before nest complete for ?reason? Now Bridless and joined the Wannabes
2018 One pair ASY male SY female 5 eggs, 5 fledged
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Thank you Toy, Deb, and Okie! I'm just so happy! I will do the best for them that I can! They are already coming over to me when I talk! We were cleaning fish this morning and had an audience! :lol:
Michelle, thank you for the kind words you always have to say! It means a lot to have everyone's support!
Ed and Mona! Thank you for your support! :)
Courtney-NC
Martin Colony History: 2009-2015-Helped to manage Raleigh site, 36 cavities
2016- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 1 pair at home site.
2017- 34 pairs at Raleigh site, 3 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2018- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 5 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2019 - 32 pairs at Raleigh site, 7 pairs at home site, 2 pairs at new Holly Springs park site

Yay Yay Yay!!! So happy for you!! :grin:
-Courtney
-------------------
NC Purple Martin Society (PMCA affiliate)
http://www.ncpurplemartin.org
taxidermy lady

Thank you Courtney! I'm working on 3 if he can grab on to one! Several new SY females here today! Not sure if it's the same one! It takes them a few days to settle down if they just got here! Good luck! :)
sugarcreek
Martin Colony History: 2016 First Yr.

So happy for you...!
2016 - 1st Yr. 14 Compartments 4 Active Nests 9 fledged, 2.25 Fledged per Active Nest
2017 - 2nd Yr. 36 Compartments 18 Active Nests 65 Fledged, 3.61 Fledged per Active Nest
2018 - 3rd Yr. 54 Compartments 43 Active Nests 169 Fledged, 3.93 Fledged per Active Nest
2019 - 4th Yr. 108 Compartments 67 Active Nests 209 Fledged, 3.12 Fledged per Active Nest
2020 - 5th Yr. 108 Compartments 72 Active Nests 243 Fledged, 3.38 Fledged per Active Nest
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

:grin: 8) Every Thing Looks More PURPLE Now !! :grin: 8)
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
taxidermy lady

I've watched the last day and a half almost all the time and the new SY female has left the SY male! Not seen her go into the gourd! If she's looking for a better cavity she won't find it around here! THG!! Maybe she'll be back when she's done flirting!!! First pair is doing great with the eggs! ASY male brings in green leaves every time he came in yesterday! He was bringing her a present! :lol: I just love watching them! Good luck to all! :)
dckenney

Good for you. I had 3 pair my second year and the next I had 12 pair . This year 17 pair . Did a nest check today so far 61 babies and 21 eggs. I don't know what I've done to deserve them but I hope the best for you . We need more people like you not to give up a we know you'll take good care of them. Thanks

Chris
taxidermy lady

Thank you Chris! I'm enjoying every minute! Thank you for what you do too! Good luck! :)
Heavy_D
Martin Colony History: 2019 2 pair 9 egss so far
2018 many vistors
2017 SY pair made nest and laid 2 eggs but lost female male moved on

Congratulations! This is my first year and an SY male showed up Friday evening and has been around all day Saturday and is back again today. Hope he finds a mate!
Matt F.

That is awesome Sharon!!!!
A huge congrats!!!!!
BillieJR

Welcome, Heavy D! I, too, hope your males stays and gets himself a gf. Good luck!
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Heavy_D
Martin Colony History: 2019 2 pair 9 egss so far
2018 many vistors
2017 SY pair made nest and laid 2 eggs but lost female male moved on

He was around all day and regularly had a female going in and out of the cavities checking things out. At times there were 2-3 others circling around.
taxidermy lady

Way to go heavy D! Good luck!

Thanks to all! I think the SY female is back! She's done flirting around the country side! :lol:
I'll know more today!
Gobbler T

WAY TO GO!!!!
I knew you would do it! No more waiting and wondering will this be my year!
I'm so happy for you. Now your off and running. Good luck with your new family
Now tell me it's not worth the wait! :wink:
Tony

2007 --- 0 2011---0 2015---4
2008 --- 0 2012---0 16-19—0
2009 --- 0 2013---1 2020—?
2010 --- 0 2014---3