Almost excited.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PM Pataskala

I have been trying since 2013. Finally this year there is interest. In the past week we have had several visits (same birds? Don't know) but none staying. They go and come back several times during the day.

Few questions:

1). Should I turn the Dawn Song off when they are in the vicinity?

2). This year I replaced my T14 with new BO11 gourds. New plastic has an odor. Could that be the reason they are not staying?

3). I have 14 gourds. Some with pine straw. How much is too much, not enough? I have some with no straw.

This is the most activity we have ever had. Getting very antsy.

Appreciate any help. Thanks
Dick Robinson
2016 - Dagnabbit - Still a lonely wannabe landlord. :-(
2015 - Still no martins
2014 - No luck yet... Not seeing many martins in the area.
2013 - First year trying. I've done everything to attract PM's except giving them free airfare to get here. Maybe I'll do that too !!!

PMCA Member
Annie G

It sounds very promising being they are coming several times a day. I would not change anything. They are returning because they like what they see. :grin: :grin: The smell will not bother them. Maybe turn the Martin music way down when they are there. Let the male do all the talking. :wink: good luck and keep us posted. Ann
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
flyin-lowe

The smell won't be a factor for the PM's. As far as pine straw goes I usually put enough in to raise the level up to the opening. They will do what they please with it. Some years I've had martins pull pine straw out and star fresh. Some years they use it, some years they choose ones without it at all. I try to mix it up a little and let them choose. As far as the dawn song goes, when I was playing it once I started getting routine visits I would normally turn it off. Nothing works better then the real thing. I am starting over at a new location after a move and last year and this year I didn't put the dawn song player out and I had a single SY pair nest last year with lots of visitors and this year I have 5-6 SY's around now starting to claim some cavities. If you go long stretches without seeing any martins you could start playing it again.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Martinfarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015 put up a S-k house, visitors but no takers
2016 homemade Martin condo (40 nesting boxes) several visitors no takers
2017 changed crescent openings to Troyer Conley 2 openings and installed 4 super gourds with Conley2 adapters and 12 vertical Troyers.
Several nests and eggs. Hopefully will exceed one hundred eggs this year.
6-21-17 nest inspection 68 chicks and 26 eggs
6-30-17 inspection 90 chicks and a new nest with 4 eggs.
8-30-17 successfully fledged over 85 martins.

My advise may not hold up being a beginner myself. But for some reason or another I have had great success.
I play the dawn song all the time, but at a medium Lowe level.
I started in 2016 with a home made house (wooden boxes) with four super gourds hung underneath. All crescent openings. Late last summer, I got up to sixteen visitors every day in August. I think they were new fledged from two of my neighbors.They came everyday and left at night for around one month. They did a lot of investigating, but I never saw them enter.
So this spring I put up vertical Troyers with colony 2 entrances and changed some of my boxes over to the same entrance. I chose this style entrance because both my neighbors were using this type entrance. That move worked like a charm. When the Martin's started coming, they filled the sixteen gourds and then started occupying my boxes. I now have a pair using the crescent openings. Maybe they will teach the others.
I put in a couple or three hand full of pine straw in the gourds, being carful so as they didn't look very full .
I have one pair with six eggs, most have two to four eggs.
Good luck, may you have a full house too.
Mike
Martinfarmer
Martin Colony History: 2015 put up a S-k house, visitors but no takers
2016 homemade Martin condo (40 nesting boxes) several visitors no takers
2017 changed crescent openings to Troyer Conley 2 openings and installed 4 super gourds with Conley2 adapters and 12 vertical Troyers.
Several nests and eggs. Hopefully will exceed one hundred eggs this year.
6-21-17 nest inspection 68 chicks and 26 eggs
6-30-17 inspection 90 chicks and a new nest with 4 eggs.
8-30-17 successfully fledged over 85 martins.

Dick , based on how my martins behave. I think it's perfectly normal for them to leave everyday and return. Also you gotta be there at just the right time when they turn in for the night. Right around dark or about 8:00 cst. Most of my martins still leave around lunch and return in the evening .